SOG Revolver-H Review -lots of pics-

SOG hunter revolver

As many of you already know I have purchased and committed to reviewing the revolver-H designed by Robbie Roberson, patent#5966816. You can buy this knife for around $60 from most knife dealers. It also comes with a really high quality leather sheath which not only looks good but also holds the knife perfectly.

In order to properly review this knife I took it back in the woods for some wilderness chores. I will do some Sawing and Light/Medium batoning. In addition to these wilderness chores however, I also used it around my house for various tasks, from slicing tomatoes to cutting twine. The blade excelled at slicing and works very well for processing food.

rev010oy.jpg

rev032xj.jpg

rev046dd.jpg

The Hunter revolver has two blades one is a 4.75” flat ground plain edge blade with a Razor sharp edge and a gut hook, the other also being 4.75” long is a very pointy wood/bone saw. Both come very sharp right out of the box, the factory edge on the knife blade will easily shave the hair off your arm and is a perfect shape for it's intended use.

The handle (steel reinforced zytel) is very comfortable and provides a nice strong gripping surface. Within the handle is the lock lever, when depressed the blade swings freely from one implement to the other with very little friction. Also when you squeeze the handle it pushes the locking pin even further into the opposing steel liner making the blade even more secure. The one thing you will want to be carefull of when rotating from the saw to the blade is to make sure that the lock lever is Fully depressed otherwise you might ding up the blades edge.

rev020cv.jpg

Upon inspection you will find the saw to be extremely pointy and sharp. It cuts like one would expect a very pointy very sharp saw to cut, in other words Very Very well. It sawed through the wood with great ease and the cuts where extremely clean, much as you would expect to come from a powersaw. It was quite pleasant to use and the handle also performed flawlessly being very comfortable and providing a more than adequate gripping surface.

rev052yy.jpg

After I cut down the tree I used the handy gut hook to remove all the little twigs. The gut hook also came razor sharp and performed flawlessly at this task.

rev068au.jpg

rev079hp.jpg

After I had removed all the little twigs I finished sawing the rest of the tree into approximately 10 two foot sections. I then stood them on end and used another log to baton the knife into the logs so as to split them into 4 pieces. This was a little difficult because of the knots in the wood, but the revolver was still able to accomplish the task with relative ease. The edge did not take any noticeable damage after the batoning.

rev083xf.jpg

rev095qt.jpg

rev108yq.jpg

I did all this work in around a half an hour (that includes photo taking) and I enjoyed every minute of it. The revolver concept is very convenient, now instead of carrying both a saw and a knife I can carry only one tool on my belt.

Conclusion:
The revolver-H is a very effective piece of equipment and well worth every penny I spent on it. The blade is very sharp, holds it's edge for a very long time and and the shape of the blade is perfect for it's intended use. The saw cuts very well also, it did not take any noticeable damage from use and remains as sharp as when I first got it. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend it to someone in need of a good hunting/backwoods knife.

Thank you Robbie and SOG for making one great knife

Socintel, absolutly amazing photography......... :eek: after reading this review I almost grabbed my Hunter and ran for the woods :rolleyes: (really) .

Something about a review like this with such clear pictures around a creek bed and smoothly sawed poles makes me want to go make a shelter or something.

I think reviews/pics like these makes an outdoor person want to "Be there" and "Do that", or at least something similar. :D

Socintel, I will need to see your camera to check and make sure it's working ok after this session........ :rolleyes: Thanks for all the hard work and great pics.

Robbie Roberson :)

Socintel, nice review and sweet pics!! :D I have the standard revolver and love it. Robbie did a good job designing the knife and SOG implemented it well.

Robbie, you're not hte only one that wanted to hit the forest after seeing those pics and review. ;)

Heber

Wildmanh, these are just great pics, I just can't stop looking at them, I plan to make one of them my desktop pic. just can't decide which one.

Wonder why when we see beautiful outdoors pics like these they make us want to exhibit "wildlike" behavior ? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.......... now whats for supper ? :D

Robbie Roberson ;)

Hey Robbie....

I think we're going to have to send him one of our sheaths for that Revolver Eh!

Whaddya Say ??

ttyle

Eric....

Normark said:
Hey Robbie....

I think we're going to have to send him one of our sheaths for that Revolver Eh!

Whaddya Say ??

ttyle

Eric....

Waht do you guys have up your sleeves?

Robbie Roberson said:
Wildmanh, these are just great pics, I just can't stop looking at them, I plan to make one of them my desktop pic. just can't decide which one.

Wonder why when we see beautiful outdoors pics like these they make us want to exhibit "wildlike" behavior ? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.......... now whats for supper ? :D

Robbie Roberson ;)

I don't know, but what I do know is I want to hit the hills with my knives and Cast Iron and campout. And By the way, dinner was good. Cooked the fish a little long, but since it was drenched in lemon juice it was still really juicy. *drools* and the Dutch Oven Veggies were so good I had to hide some so I could have them for lunch tomorrow at work. :)

Wildmanh, you make me..................drool !!! :p You come on here talking about cooked fish in lemon juice ! You should be ashamed, we are not all outdoor cooks like you. :D

Eric made some kydex sheaths for my Revolver series that are wonderful, they fit all three models perfectly even with the saw locked in. He has the ability to make more, they are amazing as they will work in just about any carry position. There is a link somewhere to a pic of this sheath but I can't locate it.

Yes, Socintel did an amazing job with the pics and review.

And Wildmanh made me a couple leather sheaths for the Revolver that are perfect quality, in fact my son has carried his for about a year and a half, loves it.

Robbie Roberson ;)

Socintel, those are some really detailed pics......... :eek:

Man I need to get me a camera like that........ :)

But I still could not get them as sharp as you have. :(

Robbie Roberson ;)

no way !! two problems: 1) the blade moves; 2) it's dangerous to guys like me to get near a blade that moves.

So to make myself feel better and not feel "left out" ..... I just picked up a SOG Recon Bowie !!!!

Cheers,

Carl

New Pig Hunter said:
no way !! two problems: 1) the blade moves; 2) it's dangerous to guys like me to get near a blade that moves.

So to make myself feel better and not feel "left out" ..... I just picked up a SOG Recon Bowie !!!!

Cheers,

Carl
Just you wait.... one day you will need to saw down a few trees and you will regret not owning a revolver.:p:p

It would appear that nobody can get between the great "Novus Porcus Venator" and his fixed blades. :rolleyes: Anyway, congratulations on your new purchase.;)

Novus what ????? :eek: :D

Cool Camera, Oh how I wish I could.............. :(

Robbie Roberson ;)

P.S. The only way Carl is ever going to get a Revolver is for me or SOG to send him one........... :p :)

Robbie Roberson said:
Novus what ????? :eek: :D
"Novus Porcus Venator" is latin for New Pig Hunter, I thought it sounded kinda cool.:D

Robbie Roberson said:
P.S. The only way Carl is ever going to get a Revolver is for me or SOG to send him one........... :p :)
You might not wan't to do that..... He might end up cutting himself to ribbons.:p

Oh Gosh !!! He'll use that name as a sub heading for sure ! :p :D

He will have one sooner or later I'm sure..................... ;)

Robbie Roberson :)

Mr Novus told me recently that he once received a SOG folder in the mail from a trusted friend .....

Mr Novus checked it out .....

and returned it therewith to the sender..... closing the package with Band-Aid-encrusted fingers.

Cheers,

Carl

Back