SOG Revolver... I'm scared.

Good for you. We just had a thread on how SOG is going downhill, and I pointed to this thread and a couple of others to show otherwise. Robbie, your last post is icing on the cake. (The other threads were on the FatCat and sawback Team Leader.)

Esav, thanks for the input.

I think it will be fine. I just need to get me one to use and then I can give some feed back too.........of course my feed back could be a little one sided.........:eek:

Robbie Roberson. ;)

It doesn't have to be one-sided, Robbie. You could evaluate the saw AND the knife blade! :D

This is really a dilemma. I think we have people who respect SOG and don't want it to fall down on the job. SOG wants to keep innovating, changing, expanding, which is good. New versions like the Fusion series may be a bit of a disappointment in theory, but if the practice shows performance is retained, lower prices and wide distribution will help the company grow.

Other people see prices rising, which is in part a function of the world economy and the dollar's decline. The high end always costs more, sometimes too much more.

As we used to say in management, "Focus on performance." If the performance is great, we'll find the money.

Esav, this is why you are such a good poet ! :D

You think of things in a different light.......

Please keep them coming.

Robbie Roberson. ;)

...except maybe in overall edge retention. And most average users won't be able to tell the difference in that.

What do you consider an average user? Don't get me wrong. I'm not taking that comment as an insult or anything, but I am DEFINITELY going to have to strongly disagree on that one.

I don't consider the mass of people who purchase knives only to sit in drawers or be abused and not taken care of to be the average knife user. Those guys that walk through the gun shows picking up Chinese crap and marveling at how that tactical hunk of shoelace wrapped pot metal only costs $4.00, or the guys who look through their BudK catalog and make a fifty knife Xmas list grand totalling a hundred bucks are NOT what I would consider the average knife user. Those people are what I would consider the average money waster.

In my opinion, an average knife user is a person who purchases a knife with the intentions of using it often and maintaining it properly to extend the life of the knife. Guys like that know how to sharpen their knife, know the difference between useable designs and the Jackhawk 9000, and most certainly know how different steels perform.

If you're speaking to the number of people who purchase edged tools (I'm using that term extremely lightly considering some of the BS that skidmarks by as a knife these days), then I will agree that the average buyer doesn't know what's what when it comes to steel. For the number of people that USE knives, I'd be willing to bet that they would notice the difference pretty quick between a 440A blade and something done of AUS-8, 1095, O-1, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I have very little faith in the knife market when it comes to the majority of buyers, but I have great faith in the (at the very least) general knowledge of the average user.

Sorry. I just re-read this and thought, "man... that sounds like an all out retaliation strike." Believe me it's not.

What do you consider an average user? Don't get me wrong. I'm not taking that comment as an insult or anything, but I am DEFINITELY going to have to strongly disagree on that one.

I don't consider the mass of people who purchase knives only to sit in drawers or be abused and not taken care of to be the average knife user. Those guys that walk through the gun shows picking up Chinese crap and marveling at how that tactical hunk of shoelace wrapped pot metal only costs $4.00, or the guys who look through their BudK catalog and make a fifty knife Xmas list grand totalling a hundred bucks are NOT what I would consider the average knife user. Those people are what I would consider the average money waster.

In my opinion, an average knife user is a person who purchases a knife with the intentions of using it often and maintaining it properly to extend the life of the knife. Guys like that know how to sharpen their knife, know the difference between useable designs and the Jackhawk 9000, and most certainly know how different steels perform.

If you're speaking to the number of people who purchase edged tools (I'm using that term extremely lightly considering some of the BS that skidmarks by as a knife these days), then I will agree that the average buyer doesn't know what's what when it comes to steel. For the number of people that USE knives, I'd be willing to bet that they would notice the difference pretty quick between a 440A blade and something done of AUS-8, 1095, O-1, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I have very little faith in the knife market when it comes to the majority of buyers, but I have great faith in the (at the very least) general knowledge of the average user.

Sorry. I just re-read this and thought, "man... that sounds like an all out retaliation strike." Believe me it's not.

Dylside, No offence taken. :) Most people using knives will probably notice a difference but will they care? Talking non knife nuts like us. I don't think so but I ain't no expert on such things. A survey at local shops might reveal the answers I wonder about....

Personally I'm going to try out the new Revolver and see how it holds up to my use before I pass any judgement. Personally the only real difference I think I'll see between the Revolver and Fusion revolver is edge holding. And since I carry a sharpening stone with me on trips that doesn't concern me.

Heber

Back