SOG SEAL 2000 Mystery

KenHash

Gold Member
The SOG Seal 2000 was made by the Kinryu factory in Seki 1995-2007/ The mode; was based on the Tech, a 7 inch blade with a brass guard/
The Seal 2000 always had no brass guard, partial serrations and a powder coat finish.
Browsing ebay I found a mysterious knife, what appears to be a Seal 2000 but no powder coat and no serrations. While the coating may have
been removed, I am puzzled by the straight edge. At first I thought it was a Tigershark(9 in blade) but size and blade length do not match. If anyone has any ideaas on the identity of the unusal Seal 2000 would appreciate any input. Could it be a counterfeit? Or a rare factory specimen?

jJ5Rsx.jpg
bLIFhc.jpg
OR4HyX.jpg
QOdISP.jpg
wV6UiT.jpg
5jzbdR.jpg

The SOG Seal 2000 was made by the Kinryu factory in Seki 1995-2007/ The mode; was based on the Tech, a 7 inch blade with a brass guard/
The Seal 2000 always had no brass guard, partial serrations and a powder coat finish.
Browsing ebay I found a mysterious knife, what appears to be a Seal 2000 but no powder coat and no serrations. While the coating may have
been removed, I am puzzled by the straight edge. At first I thought it was a Tigershark(9 in blade) but size and blade length do not match. If anyone has any ideaas on the identity of the unusal Seal 2000 would appreciate any input. Could it be a counterfeit? Or a rare factory specimen?

jJ5Rsx.jpg
bLIFhc.jpg
OR4HyX.jpg
QOdISP.jpg
wV6UiT.jpg
5jzbdR.jpg
Looks like it's been sharpened quite a bit...maybe it did have serrations originally?

Looks like it's been sharpened quite a bit...maybe it did have serrations originally?
A very good point. If that is the case, then the mystery would be solved. Unfortunately while I have seen serrations added to a plain edge, I have never seen
serrations removed to create a plain edge. It would be nice if someone with experience in that could chime in.

blade looks bit lean length wise meaning, spine to edge width wise.
also kinda thick at the edge. possible serrations ground off.....

A very good point. If that is the case, then the mystery would be solved. Unfortunately while I have seen serrations added to a plain edge, I have never seen
serrations removed to create a plain edge. It would be nice if someone with experience in that could chime in.
Way back when I had a cheap folder that was half-serrated. Didn't really care for the serrations, and didn't have a way to sharpen them, so I just went over them with the stone when I sharpened it. After a while they were gone.

Yeah I’m guessing serrations were sharpened away and coating removed. You can still see remnants of the coating near the handle.

I guess someone really wanted a Tech II that was discontinued in 2001. Enough to de-coat and grind off the serrations.
My Tech II (14.5 oz) was noticably heavier than my Seal 2000 (12.6oz) mostly due to the brass guard but I felt it was generally built heavier.
mdakSr.jpg
7HhilU.jpg

Last edited:

jJ5Rsx.jpg
bLIFhc.jpg
OR4HyX.jpg
QOdISP.jpg
wV6UiT.jpg
5jzbdR.jpg
It’s been a long long time but before Sog came out with the “seal team” knives there was the 2 originals, Sog seal, and Sog seal pup. The seal pup I had because it was cheaper and I was young, it had serrations, but the original Sog seal was longer (bigger/longer version of the pup) but it was a straight edge, didn’t have serrations at all.
I’ve been looking for an original for a few years now but could never find one.

But i don’t believe this is the OG Sog seal knife, it looks a little differnt and the originals cutting edge came a lot closer to the handle, had the same blasted hard handle and completely straight edge

It’s been a long long time but before Sog came out with the “seal team” knives there was the 2 originals, Sog seal, and Sog seal pup. The seal pup I had because it was cheaper and I was young, it had serrations, but the original Sog seal was longer (bigger/longer version of the pup) but it was a straight edge, didn’t have serrations at all.
I’ve been looking for an original for a few years now but could never find one.

I have (and still do) own a SOG SEAL PUP and SOG2000. The SEAL2000 was never made with a straight edge.

You may be confusing the photos woth the SOG Tigershark, a larger knife with a 9 inch blade. It was first offered in the late 1980s in satin finished straigh edge SK5. Then Au6 power coated with straight edge. And the final version was serrated powder coated Aus6.
The Tigershark can be easily disintguished from a SEAL2000 apart from the blade length by it;s larger more pronounced molded "guard".
UtOqIm.jpg

The SEALTEAM was the model that reoplaced the SEAL2000 in 2006. Made in Taiwan with Aus8 it is visually different from the SEAL2000s made in Seki. Because they were made after 2006 none of them had the classic SOG box logo on the blade.
uf0YhI.jpg

Last edited:

jJ5Rsx.jpg
bLIFhc.jpg
OR4HyX.jpg
QOdISP.jpg
wV6UiT.jpg
5jzbdR.jpg
Probably a Nite tech with the bluing removed.

Back