1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Sog seal 2000 or tech bowie?

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by dberry, Dec 4, 2007.

1. dberry

dberry

Oct 16, 2007
    Im stuck between these two to be my new field knife which will be abused quit a bit. Which one would be more durable?Thanks:)

2. Chris@SOG

[email protected] Moderator Moderator

Oct 21, 2003
    I would say that they are very similar in durability and you can't really go wrong with either one.

3. exidor

exidor

Dec 30, 2006
    have a look at the seal team elite I'd say it's tougher than the 2000 or tech bowie and feel's much better in the hand,try it I dare you.just ask [email protected] I own one and use one.and the seal team elite is cryo treated to be 3 to 4 times stronger also holds an edge longer.something to consider when looking for a field knife to abuse.

4. New Pig Hunter

New Pig Hunter

Dec 4, 2002
    My SEAL 2000 has had some abuse with no problems. Haven't had a chance to do any field work with the Tech Bowie.

The SEAL 2000 blade length is a bit longer and a tad thicker, if that is important to you. But it has serrations and I'm not a fan of serrations (but I still like it). And it has a bit more weight & heft.

Cheers,

Carl

5. BubbaGanew

BubbaGanew

Oct 29, 2005
    The Sog seal 2000.

6. Hammer27

Hammer27

Sep 17, 2006
    SEAL 2000. Maybe you can inspire someone to do a head to head test :D

7. noviomagus

noviomagus

Dec 25, 2007
    Chris is this really true?

is the Seal Team Elite 'better' than the seal 2000 and the Tech Bowie?
    what are the differences besides the AUS6 versus the AUS8.

in my opinion the Seal 2000 is an excellent knife.
    does what a knife needs to do and is tough too.

don't know the other two blades though.
    but I"m very interested in them...

8. missin_hobo

missin_hobo

Aug 9, 2007
    The Seal Team Elite is the smallest of the three knives, if I remember. I think the Tech Bowie is a bit bulky in the handle for my liking, while choosing between the Elite and the 2000 is really just a matter of how long you want it.

9. exidor

exidor

Dec 30, 2006
    the seal 2000 and seal team elite bolth have 7 inch blades.the elite has a longer cutting
    edge than the 2000,elite also has a extended tang for hammering and glass breaking.
    all I can say is put the seal team elite in your hand and you will understand.

10. noviomagus

noviomagus

Dec 25, 2007
    the SEAL Team Elite has the same length of blade as the SEAL knife 2000.
    7 inch if I'm correct.I'm going for the SEAL Team Elite.

Chris has send a PM to me and it ,the SEAL Team Elite ,is stronger ,and a better overal knife.

so the choice will be easy.for me.
    although the SOG TECH BOWIE is also very very nice.I like the form of that blade very much.

I''ll buy one later also .

the shorter ones ,the SEAL PUP's ,are nice too.but I prefer a bigger blade, and handle ( ! )

11. knife.edge

knife.edge

Apr 10, 2006
    I may have the perfect solution to this SOG dilema.
    I have the "original SOG Tech" which was the precursur to the Seal 2000.
    It has the exact same profile, length, thickness, etc as the Seal 2000, and I believe the same steel, but with 2 better features: a solid brass hilt/guard capping the Kraton handle (which offers a LOT more protection than just rubber) and NO serrations on the blade. I think this was the knife that was a prototype which was "improved" into the seal 2000 by a cheaper handle and those darned serrations.

It's a great camp knife that I don't use much any more. If your interested in making me an offer let me know or try to find one on e-bay.

Knife.edge

12. New Pig Hunter

New Pig Hunter

Dec 4, 2002
    knife.edge,

I'll get in line for your SOG Tech ..... I have one and would consider adding another to the collection.

If I get to the head of the line, please drop me an e-mail.

Cheers,

Carl
    [email protected]

13. noviomagus

noviomagus

Dec 25, 2007
    I don't think zytel is less good as a knife handle than kraton is.
    in the contrary, I think it is tougher and more durable.isn't that what you want in a knife?
    look at all those 'cheap'kitchen knives with hard plastic/zytel like handles.they last forever.and they are used daily ,many times a day.
    I don't see kraton lasting as good and long as those cheap knives .cheap doesn'always mean less quality.

in my opinion :)

14. missin_hobo

missin_hobo

Aug 9, 2007
    I wonder which of these three knives is best suited to chopping or batoning? The Bowie, I'm guessing, but I couldn't say for sure...

15. IronTiger85

IronTiger85

Jul 18, 2007
    for chopping and batoning ? ----> Tigershark and Seal 2000 are the right knives for that.

16. noviomagus

noviomagus

Dec 25, 2007
    for chopping and batoning the seal 2000 rather than the tech bowie.
    the tech bowie feels much lighter.when you get them to compare in the hand you notice immediately.sometimes feeling a knife in your hand makes things clearer than only reading about their length, weight etc.

still,I have the team elite now.and this ones better than both.in my opinion.
    the handle is a little less thick ,compared to the seal 2000(which has a handle that is a bit too thick I think),that makes the holding of the knife better, for 'tasks'.
    the blade is AUS8,making it sharper..
    the zytel is a little harder than the handle of the 2000.making it more durable.

the handle of the tech bowie is a little short in my opinion.although it is a very nice blade overall.

in the end it is a matter of preference.that's why you should hold the blades in your hand.'body-knife contact' :p.
    then you will know which one is the one you like best.

17. Barracuda

Barracuda

Dec 22, 2006
    I've got a tech bowie and find it the perfect knife, I've used it for levering arrows out of trees with my full weight on it, batoning and some choping (for which I find a leather wrist strap through the handle gives much better choping balance)

Any larger or heavier and it would be too much for me. Holds an edge very well too.

I've had many knives and this is one I believe is going to stand the test of time.

Also got a little sog blink which I'm very pleased with.

Kev UK