SOG Seal ID help

Greetings all, I an ronjer and new to the board as of a couple weeks ago. Love this site and have not had this much internet interest in some while, so happy to be here.

Ok now got the pleasantries out of the way : )

I got a SOG Seal 2000 from an estate sale. I have not seen one like this so maybe fake? But it seems to pass the muster I have been reading about on this forum and another site I did not join, but lurked on.

It appears to be an earlier one - SEKI blade and no pommel hammer...kydex sheath with the cord cutter notch, but it has no powder coating. I am not sure if it was stripped off, as I have never done that myself to know what it looks like, but seems to not look like any I have seen on the 'net that did do the stripping.

So it is maybe fake?? Did they make one without coating. It basically looks like a Tech2 but with the Seal handle.....no brass and does have the blade serrations.

( I will figure out how to post pics and get them up soon too.)

Thanks!!

Last edited:
From the sound of your description this is the original design prior to those made in Taiwan. I'll see if I have one on my phone I can attach for better illustration.

Hopefully this attaches (top one in the image).

Attachments

• P1010361.JPG
    P1010361.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
And the opposite side. If yours is similar it should be legit. I'm not familiar with any that would have been satin or stripped unless done by a prior owner.

Attachments

• P1010360.JPG
    P1010360.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 5
Scout1sg - Thank you for your reply. It is exactly like the top one, but with the blade being shiny silver, not satin, or coated in any way. I just found an image finally that looks like it called the SOG Nite - 3rd one down and looks like this one will post too...woo hoo! (my blade does look more silver-ish like the other 3, but this is certainly the closest I have seen).

FAM-114-scaled.jpg

Just verified, mine has the gray SOG stamp and not the black that the SOG Tech's have....so pretty sure it is the "Nite". Much appreciated!

Just verified, mine has the gray SOG stamp and not the black that the SOG Tech's have....so pretty sure it is the "Nite". Much appreciated!
Im not sure if you have the "Nite" version of the Tech.
No Tech models ever had serrations.
The SEAL 2000 made in Seki Japan always had serrations, but no blacked out blade version was made.
The SEAL 2000 was replaced with the SEAL TEAM, which did come in black with serrations, but the blade
would say "Taiwan" on the right side ricasso.

Could please post photos of your knife? Upload your photos to any free photo hosting site, then use the5th icon from the right
at the top of the posting box to put in the link to your photo.

In the late 90s I came across counterfeit SEAL 2000s, and they were ecxact except that they had blackened blades. Not saying at this stage
if yours in a fake but without seeing the knife can not say for sure. Thanks.

OK, got excited but I see the Nite Tech does not have the partial serration blade that mine does have. Sorry I am kind of rambling on here tonight. I guess I need to find out and just ask how Ican post my own pics on here rather than from a URL?....or do I need to use a photo hosting site? I get "Image cannot be posted form the passed link" when I try.
Im not sure if you have the "Nite" version of the Tech.
No Tech models ever had serrations.
The SEAL 2000 made in Seki Japan always had serrations, but no blacked out blade version was made.
The SEAL 2000 was replaced with the SEAL TEAM, which did come in black with serrations, but the blade
would say "Taiwan" on the right side ricasso.

Could please post photos of your knife? Upload your photos to any free photo hosting site, then use the5th icon from the right
at the top of the posting box to put in the link to your photo.

In the late 90s I came across counterfeit SEAL 2000s, and they were ecxact except that they had blackened blades. Not saying at this stage
if yours in a fake but without seeing the knife can not say for sure. Thanks.
OK let's give this a go....Thank you KenHash.

7XhVX6m.jpg
m22hxHP.jpg
0Vf6qM6.jpg
B7IyuaM.jpg
skSsylG.jpg

Thanks. Looks like a legitimate SEAL 2000 which had it's powder coating removed.
All other features look correct.
The SOG box logo indcates manufactured no later than 2006. And that line cutter kydex sheath
was the last of the series.

Back