SOG Seal Pup Elite review

I recieved my SOG Seal Elite the other day and took it out (among some of my other new SOGs) fishing in the bush to try it out.
First, my initial impressions- The sheath- I got it with the nylon sheath, though I have seen friends with the kydex. I thought I would like the kydex more, but upon actualy seeing and using the nylon, I was wrong. Looking at pictures of this sheath I was unimpressed. Actualy having it is a different story. It is pretty rugged and well made. There is no slop or rattle and the plastic sleeve hods the knife in quite snugly and silently, even when the retaining snap is open. The retaining snap has redundant velcro on it as well as the snap so that knife isn't going anywhere. It would absolutly be airborne deployment secure. There are a variety of grommets and strapping systems with snaps for attachement to belts, MOLLE gear, web gear ect. I really like that the front pocket on the sheath is of a practical size and fits my SOG Powerlock perfectly. This is not a cheap accesory sheath but a well thought out piece of tactical gear.
Onto the knife itself- First, some background- For a long, long time now my tactical/field knife has been a Cold Steel Recon Tanto in Carbon V. It has always performed flawlessly and never let me down. It has been to hell and back and shows the scars though mostly just in the black finish. I have always loved the feel of the Kraton grip and the knife has good heft in the hand. Always taken and held an edge well too. While the blade shape and size is not ideal to some tasks I have aked of it, it is perfect for others, and it has always perfomed no matter what I asked of it.
The SOG Seal Pup Elite- It feels lighter and flimsier in the hand in comparison. My grip on the zytel handle is just not as secure as on the kraton. The "coarser checking" toward the crossgaurd do not, to my hand grip better than the heavy checking on the rest of the grip. I do like the finger grooves but I would like some kind of traction incoperated on the edge side of the grip. The actual geometry of the grip is very nice and insinctual. Very comfortable in the hand and geared toward fatigue reduction with long use. Mind you, I have smallish hands. I like the traction ridges on the spine side of the blade and at the thumbrest part of the crossgaurd. Overall, not a bad grip, but I think it would be better in Kraton. I'm sure SOG has a reason for using the zytel though.
The blade- Deceptivly powerfull for its size. It came with the to be expected from SOG shaving sharp edge. The serations are predictably aggressive. The shape of the blade itself puts the weight and width behind the "sweet spot", where it should be allowing the belly to aid in cutting, slicing, chopping ect. The Jimping on the spine is indeed good for notching wood however it does create drag in the penetration and withdrawl from fleshy substances. If it were my call, I would have forgone the jimping on the false edge prtion of the knife and continued it to the grip. more traction for the thumb in delicate work. I can also see the jimping catching on clothes, web gear, ect. in tactical uses. The TiNi coating on the blade is very nice and deceptivly tough. While it does show crud easily, a little lighter fluid and Dawn dish soap at the end of the day and its pristine. Overall it is a lot of knife in a smallish package. As medium duty field knife and tactical backup I would say it should perform admirably. As a heavy duty feild knife I would say that it falls short only do to its smaller size. As a primary tactical knife I would say it falls short do to its size and the jimping running the whole length of the blade.
Overall, I am quite a bit more impressed with this knife than I expected to be upon opening the box. For camping, hiking, and other general outdoorsie type activities I would absolutley recomend it to anyone. For military use I would say it depends on what you do. For my brother in the USMC getting ready to deploy as a rifleman (I know, all Marines are riflemen first) I would say go with something else (the SOG Tech Bowie or Gov Tac both come to mind and in fact I'm trying to decide which to get him;) ) So far I have cleared light brush with it, cut nylon strapping, cut leather strapping, cubed pounds of chicken, sausage, peppers and fish (jambalaya!) and opened boxes with it. I've notched green wood with the back just to test that out, and I've hucked it point first and belly first into PT wood to free my hands quickly for other tasks. It still looks brand new and still shaves the hair off my arm. This is a great knife for the money, its smaller size and weight make it extremely portable, and it will perfom most regular tasks extremely well. In my day to day life as a farmhand, rancher, and carpenter, I think this will become my knife of choice. With my Powerlock living in the pocket on the sheath, this will be a very practical duo for day to day work.
Keep up the great work SOG!
Peace
John

I would give my brother a Tech Bowie if I was you, the GOV-TAC is also great but the Tech Bowie is a little thicker. I thought .240 and the Gov-Tac .200. Less change that it will break.

I'm Cowboyup0669. I don't use the e-mail I opened that account with anymore and for the life of me I can't remember my password. While I lurk frequently I rarely post so it was easiest to just make a new account. Yeah, I'm kind of a dumbass sometimes :eek:
Another review I did almost three years ago on the Super SOG Bowie came up recently so I did a follow up on it and figured while I was at it, why not follow up on this one too! So here goes
Firstly I am on my second Seal Pup Elite. My first one having seen more than a bit of use wound up going to Afghanistan with my Baby brother. More on that later.
So the first one- I used it a good bit in fishing and other day outings like that both in Southern Florida where I wrote the initial reviews and when I moved back to Upstate NY. I took it camping, logging, fourwheeling, it spent a lot of time outside with me. When a freind of mine was taking a cross country and back car camping trip, I gave it to her to take with just in case. She used it to cut the remains of an unidentified animal as well as cutting the the plasic car body parts that said animal broke and left dangling and dragged under the car (the animal was dead when they hit it) She retuned it to me after the trip with no damage and still a fair edge. The coating was still in good shape too. I continued to use it. My baby brother returned from Iraq and was visiting and took a shine to it so I gave it to him. I figured I had other knives and wouldn't miss it and He said it was perfect for his needs. (USMC weapons platoon) When I gave it to him the knife and sheath were both still in great shape and going strong.
Turns out I did miss it and it wasn't long before I bought another one.
I had one minor complaint with this second one- the TiNi coating on the blade wasn't the slick, shiny black as my first one but was instead a flat black that didn't look nearly as nice or as well aplied as the first. I questioned SOG about this and was infomed that they changed it because military operators prefered the flat black to the shiny. Thats fine but I never saw anywhere mentioning that and when my knife arrived I didn't know if I got a dud or a fake or what. Now I know and its no big deal. I understand the logic but it does lose some aesthetic points for this. Still, thats a minor thing. Also, the snap on the sheath was shiny bright on this new one where on my older one it was shiny black. I prefered the older one.
My new Seal Pup Elite is otherwise just as rugged and tough as my old one. It is my go to knife for many tasks and has never let me down. Shaving sharp and showing little wear. If anything happened to it I'm sure I would replace it yet again! While I said in my initial review that I wasn't sure about the zytel grip and might have prefered kraton, I no longer feel that way. The zytel has proven itself to me and I like it just as much as kraton. I have seen that they have changed the kydex sheath for this knife since I first bought it and may get one as I do like the changes SOG made there.
And my old one that I gave my bro? Between deployements his unit did a lot of training in 29 palms, Lejune, and one or two other places. They went to South America for a few months on some kind of mission there and then went to Afghanistan. He said the other Marines in his platoon were jealous of his SOG at first ands some went and got there own. He told me just the other day that He used that thing every day for everything from opening MREs to prying apart wooden door and window frames, all day every day. He said He used it and abused it and and it was never out of arms reach and it is still going strong.
So to sum up, I am definitly happy with my Seal Pup Elite. I recomend this knife to anybody looking for a small to medium sized fixed blade workhorse be they weekend campers or deploying overseas into combat zones for months. This knife will not disapoint.
John

Thanks for the review.
I wish more people would give Sog a try, specifically the Seal Pup, then they would understand the love of this manufacture and model.
I have had my Seal Pup for 6-7 years, it was one of the early runs from Seki Japan, it is one of, if not the best, knife I own. Just like you and your brother , I too love this knife.

I have a black tini and a satin Seal pup elite.. I really don't like the kydex sheath ( mine rattles a lot and seems poorly made) and much prefer the nylon. I went one step further and made a leather sheath for my black one.

The SPE is one knife that really surprised me. I am very much into bushcraft/survival and it is a very good knife for that. Not perfect , but a really tough knife that does a good job at most all tasks. Bringing the cutting edge shallower a few degrees really improves this knife a lot. Thanks for the review.

I'd love to see some photos of those Seal Pup Elites! I really enjoy looking at well used knives. Good review.

*Oops, didn't know this thread was so old. Best SOG Knives...are you a SOG rep or something? It looks like you're reviving a bunch of these old threads with links to your SOG website. Not that I care, i'm just curious. You actually got me interested in the Aegis again.

Last edited:
Back