SOG Seal Pup Kydex - boo.

md02geist

Gold Member
Had a seal pup I loved. The kydex sheath was awful, it held the knife well but I thought the part where it attached to your belt needed improvement.

I was right -- the whole sheath fell off (after being PROPERLY attached) during a night training mission. I never noticed because I never heard it hit the ground, yet lo and behold I reach for it and poof it's gone.

Sad to see a knife of this cost disappear due to cruddy sheath design (which costs extra). Should've gone nylon.

That is sad to hear. Perhaps it was either a faulty design or you may not have attached it properly. SOG's kydex sheaths are jump rated so they are pretty secure. Furthermore I believe there is a hole at the bottom of the kydex sheath for you to tie some string around it to attached round your thigh.

Yup I agree that the nylon sheath attached to MOLLE webbing is the best way to go.

Never bring leather sheaths out into the field - they are not as dirt resistant and cannot undergo water-immersion as well as the other sheaths.

Get the nice nylon sheath and you can put something in the front pouch!

Unfortunately it was attached VERY properly, though I did not tie it around my leg it was snapped very securely to my webbing belt. I believe it was lost when we took a quick dive into a culvert on the side of the road to avoid an incoming Abrams.

Thank you for the info on leather sheaths, I was not aware of that -- to be fair all my years in the field I only took kydex or nylon into the field. I did like how nylon held better but kydex was sturdier and easier to clean, both had advantages and disadvantages.

Robbie I am not sure who Chris is but I did contact SOG by calling them about the issue and was told "Sorry but we can't help you, you could've done anything to that sheath like break it before you put it on your belt."

Last edited:
Please email Chris Cashbaugh, director of marketing and tell him your story. If there is any way possible he will help you.

(give him a few days to answer, he may be out of town and he is a VERY busy man these days.)

marketing@sogknives.com

Robbie Roberson. ;)

Thanks Robbie. I sent an email, though I'm not sure what good it will do. Worth a shot however I suppose.

Mine almost was lost, one of the screws worked it's way out! Check out my crossdrwn sheath by Beo-wulf, for a very convenient price. I wear them in wet weather all the time, never had any problems.
pupsheath3.jpg

pupsheath2.jpg

pupsheath4.jpg

I like that sheath, though I'm not sure how I feel about an angled mount rather than a straight up and down mount.

For an army dude like you I would still prefer the tactical nylon or kydex sheaths. IMHO when you are out moving and running, I would love to have a nice secure strap that the SOG kydex and nylon sheaths have. Personally I like the design of the SOG nylon sheath.

And also it is much easier to clean than leather. After a whole day of work I would want something that is easily washable, dries easily and rather breathable, without worrying about waterproofing.

Like the rest mentioned, contact Chris about your lost SOG. Although there is no way to prove that you really lost your SOG, I'm sure Chris can help you with this one.

If you don't like the nylon sheath from SOG consider getting a custom kydex sheath that some of our members do here.

Here is one:

minitsu.jpg

On Scene Tactical has some nice sheaths for SOGs and they're quite reputable too. Some of our members have their SOGs fitted there. If you don't get it from them then I recommend getting one of the SpecOps sheath below...

sheaths.jpg

I have eyeballed the spec op sheaths, particularly for my incoming Chopweiller. They look very nice, though they seem to command a premium.

So the Spec ops sheaths fit the seal pup elite? they look great.

I also like the other sheaths do you have links and prices?

The small Spec Ops sheath would be overkill for the Pup. They are really big sheaths. For example, the Chris Reeve Pacific fits the small Spec Ops sheath.

For me the best sheath SOG makes for the pup is the current nylon model. Probably the best design would be a simple aftermarket kydex with some sort of MOLLE attachment.

YEah I think the current nylon might be pretty good, but unfortunately I had the wobbly kydex. :(

So the Spec ops sheaths fit the seal pup elite? they look great.

I also like the other sheaths do you have links and prices?

There is a smaller version of the Spec Ops sheath that fits blades up to 6", which might be suited for the Seal Pup Elite, like D R E mentioned the ones I posted fit blades up to 8", so those are definitely too big!

Sorry I'm not here to advertise the sheath nor do I sell them. Just google it and you will find some good shops to buy them from. I just happen to like them (although I don't own any) cause I have seen good reviews and they have fantastic stitching.

Back to the OP, have you contacted Chris@SOG to see what he can do? Remember to order a nylon SOG sheath when you get your new knife.

Hello all, quick update. Chris got back to me and while it's not perfect has offered to meet me in the middle leaning in my favor. I will probably be getting a new seal pup but am wondering if the elite is worth it? And then I'd the tini is worth it? Thanks.

Had a seal pup I loved. The kydex sheath was awful, it held the knife well but I thought the part where it attached to your belt needed improvement.

I was right -- the whole sheath fell off (after being PROPERLY attached) during a night training mission. I never noticed because I never heard it hit the ground, yet lo and behold I reach for it and poof it's gone.

Sad to see a knife of this cost disappear due to cruddy sheath design (which costs extra). Should've gone nylon.

I recently made some newly designed kydex sheath for the Seal Pup - made from .93 kydex - will never fall out -100% jump proof

Yes, the elite is worth it- great knife. I had a kydex for my old Pup made by jose at Regalia Innovations, and then coupled it with the ESEE back, and it works great, with mutiple mounting options as well as a very secure setup.

slik

Back