1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SOG Seal Team Elite vs Tech Bowie finish.

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by nutz_about_knives, Apr 7, 2008.

1. nutz_about_knives

nutz_about_knives

Aug 21, 2005
    Hey all, I've can't decide between the Team Elite & Tech Bowie. The knife would be used for display, or occasional use. The designs of both excellent, and indeed it's hard to make a choice. So....

Is the finish of the Team Elite and Tech Bowie the same? What I mean is that do they both have the same shininess in black TiNi? Or is the Team elite's finish less reflective than the Tech bowie's??

Also, which one would you recommend/pick? Thanks!

2. Chris@SOG

[email protected] Moderator Moderator

Oct 21, 2003
    They use the same coating but the Tech Bowie is polished and the Team Elite is a dull finish.

As for which one to choose I think for a display knife the Tech Bowie is a better and more attractive looking piece.

3. nutz_about_knives

nutz_about_knives

Aug 21, 2005
    Hi Chris, thanks for the clarification! All right I'll keep your comments in mind although I generally stay off knives that are too shiny as they attract lots of fingerprints.

4. johnu2

johnu2

Jun 5, 2007
    These are some of SOG's best looking designs :thumbup:

5. lowendd

lowendd

Feb 3, 2008
    If you are going to use it for display, I would stick with the Tech Bowie as well. Also I would think of the other knives you have on display (if so)... Do you want to have some kind of theme? For example, if you've got mainly combat knives ---> Seal Team Elite.

So much to my opinion.

6. nutz_about_knives

nutz_about_knives

Aug 21, 2005
    Hi Lowendd, I'm just starting into fixed blades so this is my first fixed knife purchase! :D I prefer the profile/shape of the team elite but from the the sticky thread "Pictures of your SOG knives" the team elite's finish looks nicer to me. However I've seen neither in real life so....

7. johnu2

johnu2

Jun 5, 2007
    Did you mean the Sealpup Elite/Tech Bowie? I don't think there is a Seal Team Elite in the picture thread yet

8. nutz_about_knives

nutz_about_knives

Aug 21, 2005
    The Seal pup elite is the smaller version of the Seal team elite so the finish on both should be the same? I'm comparing between the seals' and the tech bowie.

9. johnu2

johnu2

Jun 5, 2007
    Nah that's not always the case. Sometimes they change the coating process

It was discussed here http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498695 The Seal Team Elite does sound like its still got the matte coating though.

Also, the black tini should be all black. There won't be the greenish color like on the Sealpup Elite in the picture thread.

10. nutz_about_knives

nutz_about_knives

Aug 21, 2005
    Oh I see. So it seems like the Team elite has matte finish while the tech bowie has the more reflective finish, but both are black TiNi (as Chris mentioned).

Understand the part about black TiNi being all black, no greenish tint or rainbow.

I still can't make a choice between the two. :rolleyes: I prefer the Team Elite's blade, but the Tech Bowie's handle?? Here are pictures of the two knives:

SOG Seal Team Elite:
    [​IMG]

SOG Tech Bowie:
    [​IMG]

11. lowendd

lowendd

Feb 3, 2008
    In my Opinion both blades are kind of similar. I mean the over all Form of the blades. Of course there are differences like the spine rasps and the serrated blade of the Seal.

Maybe this thought will help you choose: Do you want/need serrations or the rasp?

The easiest way to choose is as always to walk into a shop and take both knives in your hands. Then you will see which one "feels right". Or you just take both of them. hrhrhr :D

12. nutz_about_knives

nutz_about_knives

Aug 21, 2005
    Haha lowendd thanks for the tips. Indeed the 2 knives have around the same shape. Unfortunately the only shop in my area selling SOGs are in the process of moving place so I can't test out the knives.

As I said this most probably will be a display knife. I wanted something that looked a little fierce/aggressive but I think now I prefer the Tech Bowie. :eek: So I think I would be getting that and maybe a Seal Pup Elite to be its companion (and for use). :D

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help! :thumbup:

13. LoneWolf X

LoneWolf X Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Get 'em both! :)

14. lowendd

lowendd

Feb 3, 2008
    Your welcome! Keep us updated! ;)

cheerio