SOG SEAL XR review

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by shinyedges, Aug 4, 2019.

1. dano

dano

Oct 3, 1998
    Tracked one down...a few things. Closed, mine also has that little amount of up-down play. Also, when opening manually, with no flipping, the blade has some sort of stop or bump in the pivot, causing the blade to stay open. It will stop the blade almost exactly half way (similar time how some slip joints have a stop in the blade when they are opened)...

**Edit** Upon disassembly, found that one of the bearing races wasnt seated all the way in the frame. All fixed now...Smoooth action.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. CelticCross74

CelticCross74 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 14, 2013
    Good stuff OP. According to the product page for the SEAL XR on BHQ the liners are stainless. I am considering this SOG as a hard use folder. I am considering a Benchmade 810 Contego and also a 275 Adamas.

This SOG with all that jimping all over it looks a lot like the 810 Contego. How thick is the XR lock bar? Anyone have a measurement on that? I know the 275 Adamas has one of the thickest lock bars in the entire BM catalog. The 810 Contego has BM's "standard" lock bar.

This SOG Seal XR definitely has my attention. Would be cool if it had G10 handle instead of fancy plastic GFN. Last thing I expected from SOG was this large folder with an S35VN blade but hey cool!

Have not seen SOGs worth the trouble of buying since I collected all the Vulcan variants and the Terminus XR. Good stuff!

3. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Good looking knife just not into folders that big. I went with the Terminus XR which was tested by special forces as well. Rugged also and in D2 and G10.

shinyedges likes this.
  4. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Gold Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Update coming soon

5. Mark Dombrowski

Mark Dombrowski

Sep 8, 2019
    Mate,
    I've also got the SOG
    Knife.
    Have you had any issues with the opening using the flipper.
    Mine is very hard to open.
    Regards
    Mark