1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SOG sheath

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by patrickjames, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Guardrail

Guardrail

Jun 6, 2005
    In defense of SOG at least for '06 there are new sheaths in line for the 2k, pup and pup elite.

Hopefully more will be on it's way.

Cheers!

2. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    yeah spencer frazer clearly doesnt want to wake up and smell the roses. i`ll keep buying the knives however , i`ll just leave the sheaths in the draw where they belong , or throw them in the bin where they REALLY belong

3. theoldawg

theoldawg

Apr 1, 1999
  4. Robbie Roberson

Robbie Roberson

Dec 27, 2003
    Great idea, thanks for that link. Phil really does know how to make things work........:D

Robbie Roberson ;)

5. buckethead

buckethead

Mar 7, 2006
    If SOG has decided to cut corners on sheaths, having sheaths that actually damage the knives, when will they decide to cut corners on the quality of their knives?

I was so pleased when I received my Recon Bowie, only to quickly be horrified by the damage the sheath caused. A rivet head scratched the crossguard brass, and the ill fit wore the blade's blueing. So quickly!

My desire to collect SOG knives has diminished due to the feeling of being betrayed. When one buys a quality knife, it doesn't seem unusual to expect a quality sheath.

6. perksy

perksy

Jan 11, 2006
    I like sog knives and they are the biggest seller (of knives) in the shop I manage. However I think the quality of the sheaths has been getting worse and worse. To my mind the new kydex sheaths are crap. They look cheap and I have had several complaints of them breaking. I wish Sog would bring back the old cordura style sheaths

7. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    g`day buckethead , for every single sog knife i have ever bought , not one has ever gone in the kydex sheath . i just keep them in a draw and take them out when i want to use them. ignore the steath and you have a great knife , so thats what i do , ignore the sheath.

8. BubbaGanew

BubbaGanew

Oct 29, 2005
    Lets throw another Sog sheath on the bar-be.

9. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    thats a good one mate , but it would taste all CHEAP and PLASTICKY !!! are you listening spencer?

10. buckethead

buckethead

Mar 7, 2006
    Guess you're right, friend. Am thinking that it would carry well in a nearly horizantal cross-draw.....

Am thinking about consulting with Dix Leatherworks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

11. TiNi

TiNi

Mar 17, 2006
    Hi there, i had a Seal Pup, my first SOG purchase, until i found that the knife moved in the sheath alot causing noise which you certainley don't want in certain situations.

I sold it and bought a CS Recon tanto instead :).

12. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    well , i would love a back sheath , in leather , one that mounts it horizontally , especially for my pentagon , but i live in australia and that seems nigh impossible .

13. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    i suppose i could have someone in america make it for me then import it , but the cost would probably be too great.

14. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore

Feb 28, 2002
    [​IMG]

When I first obtained a SOG Pentagon, I loved the knife -- and I detested the factory sheath, which was an attempt to be too many things at once and did none of them well. This was not a problem, as I had Bob Humelbaugh at Survival Sheath make a new sheath for me:

[​IMG]

I forgot about the whole matter (there are always other products to review) until, recently, a friend of mine ordered a new Pentagon through my online store. When it came in and I checked it before dropping it off with him, I was surprised to discover the sheath was very different.

Gone was the giant boot-belt sheath from before. In its place was a minimalist Kydex/Concealex-type model that was as slim as possible. It still had a belt attachment that I didn't like, but it was simply screwed on with Blade-Tech hardware. I promptly removed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recently I went to Blade-Tech.com and ordered several Tek-Loks and clips with extra hardware, as you never know when these will optimize an otherwise unworkable Kydex or Concealex Sheath. (Such was the case with my CRKT Hissatsu -- I didn't like the belt flange attachment it shipped with, but when I replaced this with a tek-lok, the whole thing begcame a good carry package.)

I chose, for my Pentagon, one of the clips. This is a plastic flange with Tek-Lok hardware mounting holes that can be affixed to anything a Tek-Lok would fit. It transformed my SOG's sheath into a handy inside-the-waistband model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm extremely pleased with the new setup and will be again carrying my Pentagon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. TiNi

TiNi

Mar 17, 2006
    I know a good thing when i see it and that is great Phil.

16. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    thanks phil , but to me it will still be lousy kydex

17. theoldawg

theoldawg

Apr 1, 1999
    Really a properly constructed, & fitted kydex sheath will cause minimal damage.

I doubt if those Phil is using in the above post, cause any damage to the polished blade of the Pentagon.

18. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    i have a cold steel para edge , and that has a beautiful kydex sheath , with absolutely none of the problems the sog kydex sheaths have.

19. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore

Feb 28, 2002
    I own many Kydex sheaths and have not experienced any problems with the knives in them. This is because the steel of the blade is much harder than the Kydex material.

Leather will dull a blade if the edge is repeatedly drawn through it; so will cardboard, ABS plastic, thick wads of paper, and wool, for crying out loud. It's a question of time and repetition. Unless the sheath for your knife is made of diamond or you've put together one welded from sheetmetal, your knife is in no danger.

Personally, I love Kydex; it holds up better than leather, doesn't trap moisture the way leather and nylon will, and protects me from the blade of my own knife better than flexible materials. Now, yes, conventional wisdom is that if you get some grit in there, you'll mar the finish of the blade -- but what's the point of owning a knife that isn't used? You'll mar the blade in almost any use over time. I don't believe in owning "safe queens."

20. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    every single knife i own is potentially a user , i like kydex but i hate SOGS kydex. i see your point , and , i don`t care if my knives get scratched , but when you`ve paid how much i`ve had to pay to to be able to just go out and buy a sog knife you expect a good sheath with it.