SOG slim jim issues

Well I was very excited about getting a hold of the sog slim jim...it just arrived today.

I am not sure if there is an issue with the newest batches of them but mine does not assisted open very well at all stopping before it locks up, also when closing the blade unless I physically force the small locking slide into place the blade will not seat completely leaving the tip exposed.

The only well way I can get the blade to properly open or close is to maneuver the tiny safety lock with my other hand seems to kind of defeat the purpose of a one handed assisted opener. I would totally love this little knife if I could get it work properly. The design just seems a little bit janky for me, granted it is hardly a high dollar knife but I just had hoped it would function better.

This picture shows one issue:

20120622_165749.jpg

I tried it in my pocket and had the tiny locker slide out letting the blade pop out this way on its own, luckly I was aware of the issue and did not cut my self or my jeans.

Last edited:
I am experiencing the same problem.

When I attempt to open the knife with one hand, as it was designed, the knife will only open half way. The dangerous part about this is blade will then bounce back and slam into my finges. I have already cut myself once because of this defect and I received the knife earlier today. The only way to open the knife had have it lock is it hold the safety back with my other hand.

I am playing with the idea of removing the safety off of the frame with some pliers. I think this may correct this defect.

Last edited:
That stinks. The Slim Jim is one of thery few designs SOG has that I wantes to try out. Hopefully this is just a fluke.

I have pressed in the sides of the safety in to give it more friction to the frame and I have also worked the knife open and closed about 150 times and it seems to be functioning much better now.

I'm starting to wonder if the issue is actually caused by the small frame. Because it is so small there is very limited space for fingers to go, if any part of your finger is touching the blade during deployment, it will not allow it to fully open to lock. I remember having this issue with my SOG Flash I when I first starting using it.

I will be caring this knife on my duty belt starting today so I am interested to see how it functions in actual use.

yeah i cut the tip of my finger with it also because of it not closing all the way, I have yet to open it and close it a 150 times as forlorn has, nor have i tried to crimp or remove the safety latch. I really dont want to try and modify it, if there is a chance I can just send it back to get one that works properly. Again i have a issues with it both opening and staying closed - to me the safety latch should be just that a secondary precaution and not absolutely needed to keep the blade locked into place either open or closed.

that suck. it's always a bummer when you have to do some work on a new knife just to get it to work.

I would try to lubricate it, adjust the pivot screw and just open and close it many time and see if the issue got resolved.

I would try to lubricate it, adjust the pivot screw and just open and close it many time and see if the issue got resolved.

:thumbup: The best way to start off before taking it apart and playing home mechanic. ;)

Worse case, send it back to SOG and let them fix or replace it.

Hope we get some more feedback on this now that they are getting to the vendors, and that it doesn't indicate a problem with most of them.

I was going to pick one up at Blade, but Chris did not have any.

Alan
SOG DOG #2

The knife came lubed fairly well - I have now opened and closed it over a hundred times. The verdict - it not opens more consistently although still remains finicky but does not close / stay closed worth a damn - my opinion for what its worth is that I should not have to physically slide/maneuver the tiny safety latch for the knife to sit closed. My pic above shows exactly how the blade sits after closing it by hand, I cannot get the blade to stay down locked into place with out forcing the tiny slider up under the release bar.

I am willing to put up with a little inconsistency when opening the knife but not at all for closing/keeping it closed especially when carrying it all day. I mean hell I could carry any of my others knifes, even my autos, and never worry about them opening in my pocket.

- my opinion for what its worth is that I should not have to physically slide/maneuver the tiny safety latch for the knife to sit closed.

I don't think anyone will argue with you about that.

You appear to have given it a pretty good breakin with not much improvement.

Sounds like it needs to go back to the vendor you got it from or SOG.

Alan
SOG DOG #2

Let me say a few things I do love about this knife:

Love the slim profile, love the traction plan both on the blade and on the handle, love the pocket clip, love the weight, love the blade shape for my EDC uses. For the price, if SOG can fix the locking mechanism this would easily be one of my favorite knives, which is saying a lot because I have quite a few. They could take out the assisted opener and just make it a straight manual action and I would still love it.

Definitely not how the knife is supposed to be working. Both Zach and aForlornHope should send me an email to marketing@sogknives.com and we'll get you sorted out. I'll try sending a PM as well.

Last edited:
email sent - it is so refreshing to see a vendor take a proactive approach to helping resolve issues - thanks Chris.

I picked up two SOG slim jim today black one for my friend and the bead blast for myself. Out of the two only one of them had no problem. Unfortunately, it's the one for myself.

When I attempt to open the knife with one hand, as it was designed, the knife will only open half way.

I am having similar problems with the assisted opening too. I'll sent an email too.

I'm having the same problem. I contacted SOG's warantee department, it's news to them. The guy I'm dealing with needs a couple days to consult with upper management and the repair guys to see what should be done. Hopefully I end up with a knife that flicks open the way it should, because this is a neat little knife!

Back