SOG Tactical Tomahawk F01T-N Review

I hope to review the Fast Hawk sometime and compare the two in the future :) This is a review I posted to my blog earlier today. Thanks for reading!

--------------------------------------------------

I've had my SOG hawk for a little while now, but never really got around to posting much about it in my blog. One thing I want to say up front is that this hawk, along with my SOG Trident Tanto - Black TiNi are my basic every day carry items. Whether I'm on the road, or busy working, they are never far away.

There are several things I like about this hawk. Two things that stand out is it's durability and weight. I can slide this hawk into my pack and not even notice it's in there. Most text books today weigh more. As for it's durability, one of the first things I did when I received it was to head into the backyard and chop up some kindling wood out of quarter rounds. The hawk made short work of the wood and still had it's sharp edge that came from the factory.

P1010313.jpg

P1010314.jpg

The sheath is made of a heavy nylon that is three snap closures at the bottom so you can open and pull the hawk out with minimum effort and fast (assuming it's reachable at that time). I'm not a huge fan of the small belt loop on the back of the sheath due to it's smaller size, but that's much to squawk about. I normally just slide this hawk into my belt when I want fast access to it, or it's waiting to be used in my bag. The material seems heavy enough and should last the life of the hawk, unless you are extremely rough on your tools...then you may possibly pop on the the rivets loose, but it wouldn't be easy.

P1010315.jpg

P1010319.jpg

The handle is made from a heavy duty ballistic polymer and us textured in a way so that it won't slip out of your hand when taking a swing. I've read somewhere that some people like to add rubber o-rings to their handle on this hawk for even more added grip, but I haven't lost my grip on it yet and like the way it feels right out of the box. It would take an act of god to break this handle...that's how tough it is. At the bottom of the handle is a hole, in case you want to add a lanyard to your hawk. This is usually the first thing I do :)

P1010318.jpg

P1010317.jpg

As for the blade itself, I'm one again pleased with what I see and how it performs. Granted, I've never split anything other than wood with this hawk, but in a life threatening situation and in close quarters, this would be my hand-to-hand weapon choice. The head itself is made from a nice piece of 420 stainless steel which features a 2.75" edge on one side, and a spike on the opposite side that can be used for any number of things (breaching, digging, ect) The tang of the head actually goes down the handle a short ways (about 2.5 inches) and is secured in place by two matching allen screws. for added strength, SOG also included a steel band that wraps around the body of the handle just below the screws. This gives it a nice clean finish, but also adds strength to the hawk as well.

The total weight of the hawk is right at about 24 ounces. I personally like the weight and the heft of the hawk as it feels good in my hands. I've never tried to throw this hawk like I do with my Cold Steel hawk, but I have seen videos of folks tossing a hand full of the these tactical hawks at a target and sticking each one with precision. Another good things about tossing this hawk would be that you WONT break the handle, no matter what.

P1010320.jpg

P1010321.jpg

I decided to go out back and cut up some logs with this hawk. I've done this before, but didn't get any pictures at the time and wanted to post some proof this this is not only a good tactical hawk for defense, it's also a good chore hawk that can keep up with about anything you toss at it.

Since I have a wood stove and use it a lot in the Winter, I keep a good stock of wood on hand. It's never hard to find some good wood to work with around my house :)

A single swing and i was about half way through this piece of pine. You can really feel the heft to this hawk when it's moving through the air. One more solid chop and the log split in two with no trouble at all.

P1010322.jpg

P1010323.jpg

I decided to get out a bigger piece and see how it would fair. This was a very solid 6.5" piece of pine. I was actually surprised at how well the SOG Tactical Hawk split this this piece of wood on the first cut. This was the first time I tried to split a piece of wood this thick with the SOG Hawk and I was able to without any trouble at all. When I was done, I had some nice kindling ready to go when I need to get my fire going.

In all, I am very pleased with the SOG Tactical Hawk F01T-N and plan to continue using it as my EDC tactical tool, along with my SOG Trident Tanto folder that goes everywhere with me.

Thanks for reading folks! For added humor, here's a pic I just took with me holding the SOG hawk :)

P1010324.jpg

- Bill

An excellent review and pics, Bill! Now I want one.

Thanks for your review.

Great review thanks! I got one about 60 days ago- agree with your thoughts exactly. I used mine to take our some old rose bushes, two small dead trees and destroy a old book case
chop it up for dumpster. Very strong hawk the price is right and fun to use it. "O" rings on the grip seem like a good idea or maybe
skate board tape.!

Last edited:
Small update: I've been using this hawk a lot more now that I am keeping it in my truck under the seat. The last I did the other day was dig up some roots with the spike and chop them up. After a little cleanup, the hawk looked good as new. This is a great multi-purpose tool.

- Bill

They recently started selling the SOG "Fast Hawk" at Canadian Tire, the local branch of which is a client of mine. Every time I go there and walk past the display that damn thing keeps calling my name. How does it know me?

I just picked up the Fasthawk (this guys little brother) at Wally World, for just under $20 I couldn't resist! I've wanted a hawk for years now and couldn't be happier with this.

Just wondering, what'd you use to clean yours after use, Hoosier? I'm hesitant to use water as to avoid rust..

I just picked up the Fasthawk (this guys little brother) at Wally World, for just under $20 I couldn't resist! I've wanted a hawk for years now and couldn't be happier with this.

Just wondering, what'd you use to clean yours after use, Hoosier? I'm hesitant to use water as to avoid rust..

Heya buddy, thanks for the question! For my hawk, I just use an old washcloth that has been soaked in warm water and rung out. It's a tough hawk and avoids rust anyway, but you should still dry it off after stow it away when done.

Keep us apprised how you like your FastHawk, I hope to get one sometime and do another review on it as well. Happy Holidays all!!

- HG
:chuncky:

I just got my Son and I Fasthawks for zombie patrolling. So far we really love them. Solid construction for their pricepoint and they stand up to throwing remarkably well. No dings in the edge (yet). Looking forward to getting these out camping in the Spring. Well done SOG!

Prof.

Don't worry about rust too much. The heads are 420 stainless. I simply use WD40 or the like to remove gummy tree sap. It leaves a thin protective coating on the head.

Yep - WD40 is dandy for a clean up. When mine gets really filthy with mud / dirt them I hit it with hot water and a soapy brush. Then finish up with WD40.

I reall like my SOG Hawk, even more so with a shoulder kydex sheath :)

Glad to be in the company of fellow budget 'hawk fans! Yea, we get eye rolls from the 'hawk snobs with their collection of 2 dozen $300 American Tomahawks, but we ain't all... whatever.

Anyway, if you're like me than your SOG has served you well (even if the sheath hasn't) and you may be looking for an equally budgeted friend for your favorite sidekick, am I right? Well, my own week long research and reviews are at a happy end and I encourage each of you to Google the Condor Kumunga Knife! Imagine yourself squaring-off against a black bear with your favorite SOG 'hawk in one hand and this beauty-in-the-simplicity bad boy in the other - mine's as good as "in the mail" you feel me?

Back