SOG Trident, nice!!

I've been waiting to get my hands on a few new SOG knives and finally got the chance to pick up a SOG Trident folder today at Brigade Quartermasters. Very nice knife. Lightweight, comfortable to hold and very sharp. Out of the box there was a bit of blade wobble in the open and locked position, but tweeking the pivot screw and the top handle screw fixed it up nicely. I didn't see the tiger-striped versions so the one I bought was satin finished in plain edge, but I really like the Trident over the Flash. The handle's shape makes it feel much better and secure in the hand. Opens pretty quick too. I'm not sure where this folder is made...(USA? )..(Taiwan?)....but I like it. If I could change one thing on this folder, it would be to add dual steel liners over the pivot and lock area or offer a version with aluminum handles. ;)

UPS Guy just brought my Trident Tiger Stripe. Great knife. I have a Flash II Aluminum handle also. I agree with your evaluation, Cosmic. The grip is not tapered like the Flash and thus fits the hand better. I can't find any country of origin either. Blade lock release seems to work better too.

Yes, you guys are right, the Trident is one nice knife. I looked at one again last night and it was smooth as silk and very fast. The handles are probably the best feeling I have ever felt on a folder. The grip is incredible and the blade is so sharp it would probably split a hair :D . The blade lock release works very well and is very smooth. All in all I would say it's one of SOGs best folders I have seen.

Robbie Roberson ;)

Just got my Tiger Stripe. Much lighter than I thought it would be. The blade is nice and scary looking, and opens and closes like butter. With an aluminum handle, this would be one mean, bad mofo. Right now it's just a bad mofo, although a very comfortable one.

Just ordered my TF-3 Tiger Stripe.. can't wait to get the knife.. all I've read is good!
Got the knife for 72.00 total ( knife and shipping ) :)

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
fdvtxcapt, Very cool! :D Please let us know what you think of it after you get the chance to put it to use. Looks like it will make a great user and I love hearing reviews. ;)

Heber

Hi all. For practical use, get the tigerstripe because of its serration. Whatever you cut, it must be cut as fast as possible. Hope this helps.

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
Robbie, you should go to Smoky this weekend and fix that. ;)

Heber

Fix it ? No, it won't fix nothing ! :grumpy: It will just make me want more and more. It is a never ending problem, I just need to stop looking at these new knives, that's what I''ll do............ :p

I'm selling out, everything I got, load them all in a box and taking them to the flea market, sell them all.......................... :p :(

Did he say to get the serrated blade ?

http://www.1sks.com/store/sog-trident-folder-3.html

Robbie Roberson ;)

hi robbie

I am not a knife collector, i just get those I need and only buy a new one if it is an improvement over the one i already have or as a backup in case one of the main knives gets lost or damaged. i think the tigerstripe is the most convenient multi purpose folder. When you open it it WILL open and the thumb rest on the blade is nice (like on the vision, which I dont have by the way). Get serrated if you need it or if you like the tigerstripe design. Non-serrated blade version is very nice in its own way i think. But if you are a collector (surely looks like it!) go get any version of the trident folder asap!
These forums are great fun! Should have registered way earlier

Spearfish

Spearfish, Yes these forums are great fun :D . I want one of those Tridents bad, but I have so many now I may put it off just a little while longer. :( (maybe until sunday :rolleyes: )

By the way, welcome to Bladeforums ! ;)

Robbie Roberson. :)

I am interested in buying a TF-3. Can anyone here tell me does this knife open as easily as a kershaw (Ken Onion) blackout? Thanks for your responses. :confused:

Really can't say if it opens any easier, but the ones I have tried open very easy and fast. It is very comfortable to hold, very sharp, Handles are some of the "grippiest" :D I have ever felt.

You should try one when you get a chance, from what I am hearing you will probably like it very much, I sure did.

Robbie Roberson ;)

Is SOG trident blade sharp enought to cut large block of meat from the butcher shop? Has anyone test the blade yet? was there any instruction form or warning on the shipping box? I need info. I am planning to purchase the trident. HELP ? :confused:

Picard, not sure how to answer this first question, if you mean would it stay sharp long enough to cut up a large block of meat, I would say yes. I looked at many since they came out and they all seemed sharp enough to split a frog hair :eek: .
Don't know about warnings, but all I have seen say as always, SOGs edges are razor sharp. These knives are spring assist openers, just push out on the thumb stud and it will spring open very fast, lots of fun and easy to operate, these are very nice knives.

Robbie Roberson ;)

I'm not a folder kinda-guy, but every one of my SOG fixed blades takes a razor edge.

My Tactical Tableware always wins at the dinner table whether it's pot roast or prime rib, chuck steak or New York.

Cheers,

Carl