SOG vs CS

Hi People..
another one of these comparison questions..
this one is more specific than my last thread.

looking at SOG's 'Vision' series and also Cold Steels 'Recon 1' series.. they both look very much alike in shape and construction. (IMO)

I quite like the look of these knives, but question is.. which one is better?

-Is AUS8 steel better than ATS-34?
-Are the locking mechanisms same? if not, which one is safer/stronger?

any input will be a great help.

thanks!

-Impyboy

Impyboy,

Welcome to the forums!

IMO the SOG Arc lock is one of the best around, along with Benchmade's Axis lock (I haven't tried REKAT's).

I have 2 Visions the Ti and the G-10 NightVision. I am not normally a Tanto fan, but really like these knives:D . They are incredibly smooth to open and lock up solid.

Also IMHO, ATS-34 is definitely superior to AUS8, but I suspect intended use will come into it. Others far more knowledgeable than I can answer that. I recommend a search on the topic of specific steel comparisons or steel types, and you should find lots of info. Check the FAQ section as well.
Happy hunting,
Rob

Cold Steel knives aren't bad, but if I had to choose between a Cold Steel folder and a SOG folder, I would go with SOG. Cold Steel just has not released anything impressive enough to warrant my attention. SOG has a better selection of knives and tools that appeal to me. It's just my personal choice, but I'm sold on the relability of SOG's Arc-Lock. I haven't heard any negative things about Cold Steel's Ultra-lock mechanism either, but the Recon I folder just did not impress me.

Back