Sog

Hey guys I'am terribly sorry for this because it's probably very annoying but I just have to say it. :D

:D :D :D I LOVE SOGS !!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Terribly sory for that it's probably considered spam.
Sorry :(

Hey ! could you tone it down a bit ! :D I too feel your excitement...........I love them too, and you don't need to apologize. :)

Robbie Roberson ;) :p

now if you were yelling this over at some other Forum, well, that would be different.

around here you're simply preaching to/at/with the choir !!!

Welcome to the Madness !!

Cheers,

Carl

i`m new around this neck of the woods so please forgive my ignorance with the following question.
I love the look of the recondo from sog and have been doing as much research as possible before laying down the cash. Yesterday i read a review from "cliff" on his web site of jaw dropping knife testing.
I came away from that with the impression that there was much to be desired with the recondos allround ability.

i really dont think i would be capable of inflicting such punishment to a knife but even some of the easy cutting tests seemed to fall short of virtuous.
He even reckons the handle was uncomfortable and quickly wore a hole in his hand.

please fellow SOG lovers, give me a little guidance. Is cliff and his testing regime "normal".(should i take this testing to heart) i just dont understand. :confused:

glaucus atlanticus said:
i`m new around this neck of the woods so please forgive my ignorance with the following question.
I love the look of the recondo from sog and have been doing as much research as possible before laying down the cash. Yesterday i read a review from "cliff" on his web site of jaw dropping knife testing.
I came away from that with the impression that there was much to be desired with the recondos allround ability.

i really dont think i would be capable of inflicting such punishment to a knife but even some of the easy cutting tests seemed to fall short of virtuous.
He even reckons the handle was uncomfortable and quickly wore a hole in his hand.

please fellow SOG lovers, give me a little guidance. Is cliff and his testing regime "normal".(should i take this testing to heart) i just dont understand. :confused:

Glaucus atlanticus,

First of all I would recommend that you start a new thread, and second I looked at the review that you where talking about and it was on the BG-42 recondo, the recondo is no longer to my knowledge made of BG-42 but is made of CPM S-30V steel.

While I don't know the particular properties of this steel, It almost definitely performs differently. (probably better ;) )

thanks for the feedback and also for the guidance about starting new threads.
i`m....ahh.....just a little nervous about posting after a severe flaming when i was looking around this forum a couple of months back.

i read something else yesterday that said the recondo (and possibly the feild knife?) was not in production at the moment so i`m just going to hold out and see what happens.

again thanks. :D

I've heard it said that Cliff has shown bias in his past "evaluations." And by the way, any knife can be destoyed...but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that. Do you think that maybe he just doesn't want to break certain knives of his.

I'm going to jump in here with a couple of comments (couple of cents worth :)

Before ordering a Second of the SOG X-42 field knife, I "researched" it a lot. I also came across Cliff's review of the Recondo. Cliff seemed subject the Recondo to extreme (some would argue, unrealistic) tests. Certainly he seemed to have tried to appy a consistent methodology and give a detailed analysis.

However, all reviews--whether amateur or professional--are not without bias. Ciff's review is one data point amongst others. Personally, I look for trends in the comments and take into account how the commentator is using the device. I tend to look for uses similar to my own in an evaluation. Of course, the manufacturer's intended use for the tool they design is important.

For me, the Recondo's blade design didn't optimize for my intended use--a good, fixed-blade camp knife. That's why I bought a Field Knife.

I guess my point is that we'd all like to find "reviews" for anything we buy to universally proclaim the product is perfect. Of course, this is rarely the case.

My unsolicited advice is to read other reviews, poke around this forum and others and look for a trend in reviews and use that matches your own.

pete

I'll add 2 more cents.....

It is the old "everyone has an opinion" dilemma, namely, whose opinion do you believe ??
And equally important, what is YOUR most important criteria ??

When I was looking for a riflescope, I ultimately chose a brand with lesser performance because that company's warranty was well-touted as the best in the industry for fixing a broken unit. My most important criteria: if it breaks, fix it for free. I'll suffer through less brightness and other design features, but if it breaks I want it fixed for free.

So with SOG's, I've never yet been disappointed. I don't do bend tests, I don't pry, I don't drop it in a salt bath for 6 months.... none of that nonsense. I'm a sensible user, completely uninterested in trying to purposely break my very expensive SOG Bowie.
Therefore extreme testing means zero/zip/nada to me because that's not the world in which my SOG's will perform.

So in my opinion, a SOG will do the job, be it Recondo or Field Knife or Bowie.

Cheers,

Carl

I own several of SOGs products and I love em'

I guess the biggest compliment I can give to SOG (and I have many compliments to give) is my wife has somewhat of an issue with my pleasure in Knives/ Multitools, but she borrowed my Switch plier a couple of months ago, and I have been advised that it is now no longer mine. :) She keeps it in a kitchen drawer, and uses it whenever the need arises.

If a manufacturer can make a knife / tool that would be anything less than an irritant to my wife, then they have done a lot.

You guys are exhibiting a wonderful perspective from which to arrive at important decisions. That level of objectivity is something I wish for everyone. Oh, I wish for world peace, too! ;)

I got a quick question, Does anybody know when the SOG topo meridian
is coming out, also got any idea how many $$$ it's going to cost.

It looks so COOL, and I get this odd feeling that I am going to have to buy it. :D

And it says SOG on it, what a great idea, now I can run around the world with it and show everybody that SOG's RULE!!!!! :D:D:D

There is a reference somewhere here (recently) in the SOG forum to possible release date for this knife. I believe "spring" of 2005 was stated. SOG has a track record of missing most "advertised" release dates by about 2-3 months. This knife looks quote cool. Hopefully they'll be on time.

Ron Andersen said:
There is a reference somewhere here (recently) in the SOG forum to possible release date for this knife. I believe "spring" of 2005 was stated. SOG has a track record of missing most "advertised" release dates by about 2-3 months. This knife looks quote cool. Hopefully they'll be on time.
You dont by any chance have an idea about the price??? :)

Thanks Ron. :)

Don't think I can wait till June, guess I will just have to suffer a few more months.:D:D

Barrabas said:
I guess the biggest compliment I can give to SOG (and I have many compliments to give) is my wife has somewhat of an issue with my pleasure in Knives/ Multitools, but she borrowed my Switch plier a couple of months ago, and I have been advised that it is now no longer mine. :) She keeps it in a kitchen drawer, and uses it whenever the need arises.

If a manufacturer can make a knife / tool that would be anything less than an irritant to my wife, then they have done a lot.

Wow! Anyone else also have spouse problems with their "habit?" My wife does like my pocket power pliers, but she is scared of all the knives. :(

Scottsman

my wife doesn't bother me about my knives.... they take up much less room than my guitars.

it's easier to hide a new SOG than it is a new guitar.

Cheers,

Carl

Hey all,

I just bought myself a SOG powerlock got a great price $38.00 New in box with shipping!!!
When it came in the mail it was love at first sight:). unfortunatly though the saw blade was diffective, SO I shot an e-mail over to the warranty department. and within a few hours thear sending me a replacement part!!!!:)

What can I say I LOVE SOG!!!:D:D:D

Back