SOG's New for 2012 knives

It would be great if they did a new version of the Jet Edge from the late 1990s too.

Since they have revamped a few of the older folders that were originally liner-locks to Arc-Locks.

Personally, although my above post about SOG sounds pretty negative, I don't dislike SOG in general. In fact, there are some specific things I like about SOG a lot:

* They have some wonderful fixed blade designs.
* I really like their "historical ties" in their various fixed combat blades, where they have tried to restore and offer traditional combat blades from earlier periods, as well as recently issued blades (like the Seal 2000).
* I like the steels they are using in their higher end knives: from VG10 and above that, they are using better steels. And they seem to get the best possible performance out of the steels they use, even when they use more common steels like Aus8.
* The Arc lock is an outstanding innovation, IMHO. It works at least as well as the BM Axis lock, maybe better.

Wish list of things that SOG would change/offer. If they would do some of these things, I'd definitely buy more of their stuff:

* Offer more simple, fairly traditional blade designs and styles along with all the trendy, newer designs. Provide some designs that are more time-tested, proven, and practical. If you offer some solid, traditional fixed 4" to 5" drop point blades in VG10 with good thickness and toughness and good micarta or G10 handles, people would buy them like hotcakes.
* In some of the current tactical folders, like the Pentagon series and the X-ray vision/mini knives, make models available without serrations. These knives have widely been acclaimed for their excellent quality and cutting performance, but almost nobody that I run across really wants the serrations on these things.
* Eliminate some of the goofy/trendy features that spoil otherwise great products. Example? The current Seal Pup Elite series. For the money, these knives are so near to perfect, it's amazing. They are an incredibly well designed, well made lightweight tactical knife. However, they have a couple of really annoying features that keep me, and many others I've seen in forums, from getting these: (1) the rasping on the spine (makes no sense, doesn't really add any needed feature, and only causes problems when doing things like batoning), (2) the clip point blade (nobody wants these as a serious combat blade, so lose the clip point and go to a more useful/stronger drop point design), and (3) the steel, lose the Aus8 and go to VG10 (yes it'd jack the price up a bit, but with the otherwise excellent design of this lightweight survival blade, if you lose the spine rasping, go to a drop point, and switch to VG10, and keep the bladed thickness at least 0.187", people would pay well over $100 to $150 for this knife--I know I would). With just these few changes the Seal Pup Elite would be potentially a better knife than the Spyderco Temperance 2, which is a great knife and already costs around $200.

Back