Sogwinder: Handle problem and steel question

Hi Ron. I have a few SOG knives and I'm wondering about my Sogwinder. I bought it new 6 years ago and it hasn't seen all that much use. First, the rubber scales have lifted away from the handle somewhat. How can I fix this myself if I don't want to send it in to you for repair? It's not a major problem and I'm leery of mailing it across the border. I'm thinking that something like Krazy Glue might work. Any suggestions ? What do guys use?
Also, what steel is my Sogwinder made from?
In a previous post in June you say that you have all the old brochures in front of you
and they all say 440a. The one SOG brochure I have says 440c for the Sogwinder, Tomcat, and Trident, 440a for the other stainless blades, carbon steel for the Bowie, Tigershark, and Recon Govenment.
What can you tell me about this? Thanks.

Hi Marty .... I don't think that Krazy Glue will work to well, you may need some sort of contact glue or rubber cement. It's hard to find a good adhesive for attaching rubber to metal. Just my guess! Ron should know if anyone though!
smile.gif

TitaniumKnutt -- Mark W. Douglas

Edited: I believe the steel is 440A!

[This message has been edited by TitaniumKnutt (edited 12-13-2000).]

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your comments. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, there is nothing a consumer can do, including Krazy Glue (sorry Mark), to keep those Kraton slabs in place.

But the great news! We'll take care of it for you. Send it in. Email me for instructions. It will be free of charge.

If I can do anything else, please let me know.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

Thanks Ron. I'm not going to send the knife in for the time being. The handle problem isn't a big deal and I'll leave it for now. If in the future I want to have it fixed I'll e-mail you then.
Also, what about my Sogwinder steel question?

Hi Marty,

It sounds like you might have a really old brochure there. Email me with your address and I'll send you a new catalog.

I did ask, and from my understanding, the Sogwinder/Tomcat family has always been 440A. The Trident 440C. The Tigershark has converted from carbon steel to 440A several years ago (even prior to our powder coating the blade). Any SOG blade which is blued is a carbon steel.

Any references not agreeing with this may be typos in literature (or I have received bad intelligence
smile.gif
).

Anything else I can do? Just let me know. I'll be quicker next time responding.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

Back