• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

*SOLD* Carbide straightening hammers

Joshua Fisher

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
3B9CE953-8A12-4921-802B-33AC13F7CF03.jpeg
Hello Everyone, I haven’t made a batch of these in a while so I decided to start the new year off with a batch of carbide straightening hammers. These end up being roughly a 6oz hammer head with a 3/8” carbide ball pressure fit and glued into the hammer face. For anyone not familiar with this tool it’s for straightening hardened blades after tempering, you place the blade with the warp facing up on a flat anvil or metal surface and lightly hit the inside of the curve. The carbide slightly deforms the blade and causes the material to stretch and straighten out. I’ve used these to fix warps in carbon steels up to 66rc, stainless steels like aebl, nitro-v, and magnacut upwards of 63rc with no issues. You can either leave the dimples left by the hammer or grind them out they do not go very deep, the key for removing them is grinding equally from both sides of the blade after it’s been straightened. These are all sold, thank you!

Last edited:
13 left. Any more orders today will ship out tomorrow. Any orders over the weekend will ship Monday.

First couple have been shipped and we still have more in stock that can ship Monday for anyone interested.

in your description, are you talking about straightening blades that have already been hardened and tempered? Does the blade need to be warm while using the hammer?

Thank you

in your description, are you talking about straightening blades that have already been hardened and tempered? Does the blade need to be warm while using the hammer?

Thank you
Yes hardened and tempered and no it can be done completely cold. I always do my two temper cycles after hardening and then straighten on a flat anvil after they have cooled down. Straightening this way I can work through a pile of 50 blades in an hour and have them all straightened ready to scribe center lines and grind bevels, if you pre grind before hardening just make sure your bevels are flat where you are hitting to straighten and don’t hit too close to the edge.

Back