• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

SOLD Raptor in stainless 14c28n at 61HRC - one of the rarest wood species in the world -

Francisco Vaz

fvazknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
SOLD

Hey guys!

Unfortunately this post i will be able to cover only with a video, the grandmother of my wife is having a hard time and we are visiting her parents to give some assistance, so please be patient till i figure out some professional pictures in my studio, im likely to be at home on sunday.

I will be also clearing all emails next days.

I hope the 1080P video covers all the details of this very special blade.

Raptor is a original design by me that has a wide variety of shapes and profiles. For this one, i tried to make something in the sabatier/gyuto all around profile, like a regular chef knife for daily use.

It is hand forged from 14C28N steel to make that cool texture, hardened with cryo to 61hrc, focusing more on toughness as the geometry itself is able to offer a huge edge retention (near zero behind the bevel).

14C28N is basically the same composition of AEBL, great reputable steel, one of the toughest available out there. A extremely fine grain is guaranteed, as the blade was carefully heat treated in a professional kiln.

THE HANDLE is where this knife becomes almost a jewelry on its own - it is made out of one of the rarest species in the planet, as well expensive. You can read more about it in the 2# on this link -> https://rarest.org/nature/expensive-wood

At least on my experience, this wood has been harder to find than snakewood (MUCH more), actually, i could only purchase a few pairs of it from my supplier because that was all he had.

I was extremely careful to use the most special part of the block for putting in the handle both colors of it, having a natural transiction between brown, purple and black tones.

In order of making this wood even more special, i did a tappered tang ground to less than 1mm at the end and used a micarta liner in the tang.

The beautiful zipped pouch in the beggining of the video is already included in the purchase, where it will offer all the safety of travelling overseas :)

WATCH IN FULLSCREEN ON YOUTUBE FOR SEEING BETTER ITS DETAILS

SPECS:
200mm blade length - 56mm wide at the heel - 2,8mm thick at the thickest point - tappered tang - 61hrc with cryo - zero grind (thinned to zero in the edge) - Brazilian rosewood A+ grade - 14C28N by Sandvik

SOLD PRICE: 440$ shipped - if purchased before this sunday, you will be able to get 20% off using the coupon below

My email: fvazcustomknives@gmail.com

Blade delivered hand sharpened to 2000 grit, it will reach you razor sharp ready for use.

Im from Brazil and can provide a lot of references, please check my website fvazknives.com and feel free to contact me.

If you would like to have one raptor like this, or even a set out of CPM Magnacut, please contact me. Im also taking pre orders on Elmax (both steels with cryo).

Have a blessed weekend in advance everyone!

Last edited:
Beautiful work Francisco - love the forged blade / grind - and that handle is 🔥 .

I recently purchased a Magnacut Gyuto by Francisco that is my favorite knife. It has replaced my Yoshikane SKD k-tip / Shibata Koutetsu gyutos as my "go-to" knife.

I placed a large order with him in early March, after researching his work on Bladeforums / other forums dedicated to kitchen knives / reddit, and the like. Francisco is great to work with, and to my pleasant surprise, I have already started receiving some of the knives here in the States (Maryland) as of today. The fit and finish / attention to detail is top notch on his knives. The grinds have been great and they are nimble and performant. Francisco has been great to work with and I've got some special knives coming in for some 'new knife day' posts :).

Whoever grabs this beauty is going to have a blast. Don't sleep on this one.

Love it... Beautiful!!👍👍👍
Beautiful work Francisco - love the forged blade / grind - and that handle is 🔥 .

I recently purchased a Magnacut Gyuto by Francisco that is my favorite knife. It has replaced my Yoshikane SKD k-tip / Shibata Koutetsu gyutos as my "go-to" knife.

I placed a large order with him in early March, after researching his work on Bladeforums / other forums dedicated to kitchen knives / reddit, and the like. Francisco is great to work with, and to my pleasant surprise, I have already started receiving some of the knives here in the States (Maryland) as of today. The fit and finish / attention to detail is top notch on his knives. The grinds have been great and they are nimble and performant. Francisco has been great to work with and I've got some special knives coming in for some 'new knife day' posts :).

Whoever grabs this beauty is going to have a blast. Don't sleep on this one.
Another great looking knife.

Many many thanks guys! Blessed to have your support.

Ooooh, make a smaller Raptor with that wood!

It is possible. Actually, the first design of a raptor was a small, 5~6" blade.
This one below was the first one to be designed.
b5.jpg

Francisco, kindly PM me, i think someone has been in contact with me who is not you, claiming to be working on a set of 5 knives for me.

Francisco cleared everything up. sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
Please ignore my post, all cleared up, apologies for any confusion. Francisco has been very communicative and helpful in getting the freight company to give me accurate information. Thank you Francisco!

Back