some back from heat treating

a few years ago i bought some steel (154cm,ats34,s30v) so that i could make myself a few knives (dive knives mainly) and basically did not have the time to finish more then two dive knives. Few weeks ago the company i work for in my day job *yuck* said they were sending some stuff to get heat treated,,and if i had some knives done i could piggy back mine in with theres
so in a rush i got 5 ready for heat treat,,came back a couple of days ago
group.jpg

hope this pic thing works lol

got one finished,,this one is for my girl friend, who is very big into camping
it's 9.25 inches long ,,made from cm154 ,,and she wanted a blue handle on it
i'm happy with the way it turned out
sideviewstanding.jpg

second picture is of my 1st attempt at filework ,,I need some more practice ,,but not too terrible for 1st try at it ,
handletop.jpg

and finally a side picture
othersideview.jpg

edited so pictures would show(hopefully) rather then links
soory about the many edits .shaker

this one is mine
made from cm154 10 inches over all , not yet finished , still have to do some finishing and sharpen it as well
as with all these knives ,i'm just trying different designs ,different handles ,
any comments would be welcome
topview.jpg

sideview.jpg

sideview2.jpg

handle.jpg

thanks for looking ,,shaker

im probally going to do some more shaping of the handle,,but right now it feels real good in the hand, probally can feel even better
I did kind of mess up on my knife,,i had already epoxied and pinned the scales on when i decided to use steel surface conditioner pads on the blade ,(sure bright type pads) using my dremel ,,and the scuffed the blade all to hell
and since the scales were on and glued it was very difficult to get the balde back to looking descent
but as with the other knives in this batch ,,its a learning experiance
next up will be a skinner with stainless bolsters
thanks for the input ..shaker

Shaker if you are sending your stuff away to be heat treated, do yourself a huge favor and find one with a vacume furnace. Your blades are stainless, I don't understand why you would put up with the grief of all that oxide. Pay the money mate and save yourself a sh#t load of work:thumbup:

peter

keith > yes it is g10,,,I wasnt too sure how blue would look but now im pretty happy with how it turned out
del raso > in this case since my heat treating was pretty much free, shipping was already taken care of as was the heat treating charge ,the scaling was acceptable to me . I was willing to spend the extra time to clean the blades

thanks for the comments

heres the third of 5 knives ,,this one i gave to my brother for xmas,, had to make a sheath for it on boxing day ,,so he gets the total package a few days after xmas
knife is just over 8 inches long (8 and 1/16) blade is 3 5/8 inches long,,blade material is cm254 and handle is canvas micarta
knife feels real good in the hand
insheath.jpg

knifeandsheath.jpg

closeupblade.jpg

closeupbladespine.jpg

closeuphandle.jpg

and while making my brothers sheath i made one for mt g/f''s knife and mine as well
fromabove.jpg

fileside.jpg

insheath.jpg

outofsheath.jpg

closeupsheath.jpg

acrosssheath.jpg

Those look great.
I don't want to put a damper on things but have you tested the hardness etc on the knives? Each steel alloy has a specific heat treatment process to bring out its optimum properties. That is why the heat treater will ask the alloy and what hardness or KSI result you need. These will have different soak times and temperatures, quenches (Air, oil, furnace etc ) possibly a cryo treatment, and a temper cycle. If the steel is not correctly heat treated for its specific alloy it is possible to get some un-intended results.
As long as the parts getting sent out for heat treatment were getting thru hardened and not case hardened and were of a similar make-up you should be ok but you may want to at least get them tested for hardness on the Rockwell C scale if you have a tester available to you in your shop.

i specified the rc and material to the the heat treater (a&m heat treating)
each knife came back with the two dimples from testing from the heat treater
so although i have not verified it,,,from past experiance with this HT'er the rc should be alright

but heres a few things i have learned from these 5 knives,,
-finish the knives more before sending to HT im doing to much work on them after HT
- i need to do more work to my home built 2x72" belt sander ,,,it still has a wobbel to the belt as its grinding ( i have to make some new drive wheels)
- large contact wheel, at the moment im only using a flat platen . i need a contact wheel
-and finally ,,its going to take me a lot of practice to make better sheaths
thanks for the comments and hints

Back