Some comments on S30V (stainless CPM-3V) by Phil Wilson

Hi Rob. No I don't. Do you have any 3V or D2 pieces? Need a hollow ground mule, heat treated. straight edge about 3 inches (76mm)long. We'll put a 30 degree edge on it with the same belt we use on all of our mules. We can Rockwell here. I'll give you the results. You can make public if you choose.

We'll do that for any steel just for our own data banks.

sal

I have both 3-V and D-2 Sal, Ill make up a couple Mules and send them off to you. I will also run a Rockwell test on them and we can compare those numbers as well. How long overall on the Mules, and inch on each end? I know we talked about it at Blade, I just cant remember. Thanks for the offer Sal! :)

We need about 3" of cutting edge and about a inch to clamp to.

Send them to:

Spyderco
Research & Development
820 Spyderco way
Golden, CO 80403

sal

Pardon me for being simple-mindied, but what makes it so difficult to finish to a high polish? This isn't the most highly alloyed steel we know. Is it mainly the abundance of hard V-carbides? Or that, in combination with the deep-hardening, throughout?

Yet, we know steels with even higher concentrations of each element....

rj :

I am pushing this steel hard-62 Rc, with 3 tempers. I did some stuff with it that would have slightly damaged 3V at Rc59, and A2 at Rc60

First off R.J., I am glad to see you run it that high, with 3 RC points harder it will obviously be significantly stronger and more impaction resistant than 3V, however does it suffer any loss in ductilty? What happens if you flex it past the elastic point (edge plus whole blade) as compared to 3V at 59 RC? What about hard impacts to induce fracture - this being the whole selling point of S30V?

Rob :

I dont think I will even bother with S90-V anymore as the slight increase in edgeholding with S90-V isnt worth the toughness difference in my opinion.

That would be a critical point obviously, personal preference again comes into play, but I have made that decision myself in a daily carry piece many times. It will be interesting to get some feedback on how close S30V comes to S90V when both are in the 61-63 RC range. Corrosion resistance would also be a factor, however S90V is decently high in that area from what I have heard and the little I have seen.

-Cliff

Again. for what it's worth, S90V scored significantly better in edge retention (abrasion resistance) that S30 V (by 25%).

sal

Originally posted by Sal Glesser
Again. for what it's worth, S90V scored significantly better in edge retention (abrasion resistance) that S30 V (by 25%).

Sal, could you comment on how S30V and/or S90V compare with, say, VG10? And where you compare it with S60V and S90V, were all those steels at Rc 60?

Sal: thanks for sharing your test results. I'm not surprised that the S90V is more wear resistant-it's got significantly more Vanadium, and, that's the result.
Cliff: My concern is generally not about blade breakage from bending-I don't make prybars. Rather, I want edges that hold up without deforming permanently (plastic deformation). A knife that will withstand permanent deformation is nice, but, not at the expense of an edge that behaves the same way, IMO. Whether an edge bends or chips, it's still got to be completely reground to function properly, no? In the field, I believe I'd rather work with a chipped edge than a severely rolled edge, unless I had lots of time to resharpen the rolled edge.
My big knives are all 1/4" stock, with a full thickness spine, so, without using a cheater bar, you probably can't get enough leverage to break/deform the blade anyway.
Failure from shock is not acceptable, which is why 3V is so attractive for big, camp knives. I have no test data on similar blades from S30V at this time, but, I believe that a blade with the correct geometry in S30V will perform fine in this regard. I don't advocate wailing on something with any knife-I believe most cutting tasks can be performed with only moderate force, even chopping/splitting, using, perhaps a few more hits. This is much safer/saner IMO. High impact hits, on the other hand, result in blade twisting on impact due to the user's inability to deal with the momentum-this is what trashes edges. If you need to wail, get an
axe, even a small one, so you can use two hands.

Ok, R.J., you've sold me. Make mine S30V! Seriously, it sounds like a very good steel to me.

on heat treating???

I have my first group along with some test pieces almost ready to go. Probably, new years day :) No HANGOVER expected!!

Neil

Super thread, gentlemen. Thanks for sharing all this great info. :)

Back