1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some dye experimentation

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Brock Cutlery, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    I have a few sheaths to make for a few hunters, so I thought I'd play with some dying techniques, experimenting really. Would enjoy hearing your thoughts and perspective.

In the pics below, the sheath at top is one I had made previously. It was shaped and formed in the oven, then dyed, which is my standard routine.
    So the first one on the left I shaped and dyed then formed in the oven. Might have cooked it too high or too long as well, but it didn't seem to be what I was after.
    Middle one I shaped, formed in oven, then dyed, as normal.
    Last one on the right, I dyed it as a flat piece of leather, then shaped and formed in oven. It has a kind of marble look to it which I like.

3DyeTests1.jpeg

3DyeTests2.jpeg

Fullflat and mitch4ging like this.
  2. Fullflat

Fullflat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Love the look of that last one, the one you dyed as a flat & then baked. That ‘marble’ effect it ended up with looks really cool to me too

3. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    Thanks Fullflat. I agree. Its the best color and character I've achieved so far. Still need to experiment with application of dye and finishing, but it's almost there.

Fullflat likes this.