Some observations on BM 710's in M2 & ats-34

A few weeks ago I got a Benchmade 710 in M2 steel to match the the ats-34 one I already had, both are plain edge. New in box, it had no problems at all other than an edge that was thicker than I like, so I broke out the benchstones and went to work. This M2 stuff was harder to grind than ats-34, but as others have mentioned it's easier to get a fine sharp edge on it. In the end I was able to put equally sharp edges on both my 710's but it took more time and care with the finishing steps to do this with ats-34.

So after I got them all nice and sharpened to my satisfaction, I took both of them to work at the bicycle shop where they're used to cut up large cardboard bike boxes. I can't say I noticed any difference between them while cutting the boxes, but after a couple days of work I've noticed a difference in how sharp the edges are. The M2 710 will still cut freefalling sheets of notebook paper in half, the other won't. Both of them would still do the above to typing paper. After using both for about 2 weeks, the M2 710 *feels* marginally sharper and seems to cut better, but neither of them shave anymore. However, I can still cut up cardboard boxes with ease, it's just not as clean and effortless as before. I'm hoping to cut other stuff like pop cans to see if M2 steel will hold up better to abuse, but so far no bike repairs have required the use of our shop's infamous pop can shims
smile.gif
I like both of these knives, but if all I'm cutting is cardboard I still prefer my Kershaw Ricochet which works better than both BM 710's.

Aerius

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aerius:
I like both of these knives, but if all I'm cutting is cardboard I still prefer my Kershaw Ricochet which works better than both BM 710's.
Aerius
</font>

Aerius, please elaborate on your impressions of the Ricochet in 440V compared to M2 and ATS-34 ala 710. Thanks.

rdangerer, the Ricochet doesn't bind and get stuck nearly as much as the 710's when cutting up cardboard bike boxes. Using the Ricochet I can cut up the boxes by sticking the knife in one end and pulling it thru to the other kinda like doing a big long push cut. The 710's usually bind and get stuck when I do this, so I have to "saw" the blade and use a slicing motion for the cut. I find it's easier for me to just pull a knife thru the box instead of sawing and slicing thru it. The Ricochet also holds an edge longer, but it's not a big deal to me since I give all my user knives a small sharpening every week or two. Hope that helps,

Aerius

Maybe a stupid, STOOPID, question, but... The 710's would happen to be serrated would they?

The problem with the 710, IMO, and Benchmades in general, is the type of grind they have makes for a rather thick edge, and abrupt thickening of the blade as you go from blade edge to spine. In my experience, this prevents them from making cuts in cardboard as easily as one of my flat ground (fully) knives. Like the Camillus Talon. Man, if you want to go at some cardboard, THAT is the knife you want to use. And otherwise, it just makes for one of the best knives I have. But I digress... sorry about that.

------------------
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce
Most dog owners are at length able to teach themselves to obey their dog. - Robert Morley

iktomi

When Benchmade first came out with the M-2 AFCK, I did an edge holding test between the M-2 AFCK, an ATS-34 AFCK, and a CPM440V Spyderco Military. I cut all kinds of stuff from cardboard, to wood, to wire, to plastic, and I never found a clear winner. They were all great! The M-2 was the winner when it came to restoring the shaving edge afterward though.

Benchmade ATS-34 holds an edge a long darn time. A long time ago I tested my AFCK against some hand made knives with ATS-34 blades to see if I was getting my money's worth in terms of edge holding. The AFCK out lasted most of them significantly. They cook it good and hard.

The difference in ease of cutting you note between your 710 and your Avalanche is almost certainly blade shape. Wide flat grinds will cut through firm materials more easily.

Back