Some random action shots (just 'cuz)

Damn Luke, thanks!!! That was a perfect example. I was trying to think of something that would seep into that thick skull in Danbo's head and couldn't come up with anything. Right and left hand threads is EXACTLY the same idea.

I'll remember that one, thanks!!! :thumbup: :D

BTW- You guys who keep refering to yourselves as newbies like it's something different than what I am are going to make other people expect that I know what I'm doing.

And that would be a travesty cuz I don't know much!!! :eek:

I do appreciate the appreciation though (anyone else reminded of Mike Meyers in Austin Powers, "Please allow myself to introduce... uh...myself.") ;) :D

The tang is forged down from the big bulk of steel I "upset" in the post vise with the 12 lb. hammer. I was a little worried about the welds between the 5 bars in that procedure, because it really took some force to drive that steel down.

I'm pretty physched about it though, because I like how the bars are only about 1/8" wide in the bolster area but more like 1/4"-5/16" in the blade.

Okay... more work to do! :D

I forgot this one and it was one of my favorite pictures!

This is the tip right after forge welding it back together.

l_6410e3e4413bb975a2eda55192f902cf.jpg

I had to go back to the first page to look at the designs again, i am with Bill cannot wait to see the final product, NO PRESSURE NICK:).

Good bunch of photos, Nick! For someone who doesn't know what they're doing, you are coming along pretty damned good :D

Boy, it'd certainly be nice if I didnt know as much as you dont know... =)

Looks like it's comming out awsome, and I certainly hope you dont mean it when you say never again =P

Marking a reference line for the bolster transition.
l_585c68c6da54dbc9f34699035f7ac3ff.jpg

Line from step above.
l_11126ce5da56f3eb857a157e6cb17ede.jpg

After roughing off most of the blade steel that was left before heat-treat, I'm now checking for flatness with a 120X ceramic disc.
l_e60388c08d3e7fd9dd328dbc10dfe17d.jpg

Cleaning up the bolster to blade transition on the KMG.
l_f9140b5bdb1568d3155e6477620a3ed7.jpg

If it's not as good as my hands can make it, then I won't put my name on it. These are getting mighty close.
l_30cb07f173cdc5dfa9a0cffaf09ff859.jpg

A shot of the distal taper.
l_693165eeb7b0dc0f0c0c43569f7a6b36.jpg

Getting close to hand sanding time.
l_8178393c284a92ff664601089f5359b6.jpg

Hey Justin, I must be a good actor cuz it doesn't feel easy... I was telling Naomi that at any stage in the game you can F one of these up beyond repair and she thought I was joking! I bet you know a lot more of what I know than you think you know.... :) I'm just stubborn and keep f'ing things up until something good eventually happens.

I'm a pretty nice guy, so karma eventually helps me out ;)

Normally I do the transition completely by hand with files, and round stock wrapped with sand-paper... but I whipped up this giz-whiz for the KMG today and like it a lot. It is NOT my idea. I made one like it for my Burr King that was my idea, and it kind of sucked a$$. The one for the KMG was the idea of Steve Culver... a bladesmith/gunsmith who just got his Ms last June. My friend Henry Torres sent me some pictures of it.

It's incredily simple but really works for smoothing out that transition. It is NOT something to grind down much stock with. I didn't get any pictures doing it, but most of the steel was hogged off with a 10"serrated wheel on the KMG, and then the flat platen on the Burr King. I wish I had managed to get pics of that that weren't blurry.

Keep in mind I've taken about 97% of these myself with the time delay button. About the only one that I didn't was the one of me being a poser :eek: :p

I still have to test this biotch. It better not fail or I'm going to be pissed like a pirate that fell asleep only to awaken finding he'd been visited by a hungry beaver... and his peg leg is missing.

Did I really just say all that?

Well, if you can't laugh at yourself... Well, then your just stuck up ;)

For those of you who think I'm getting it done somewhat quickly, you can thank my doctor for diagnosing me with ADD and figuring out how to deal with it. Otherwise I'd still be drawing sketches. Seriously.

Gotta file down the bolster shoulders too. I might try my new carbide faced shoulder jig from Uncle Al.

Since I'm dropping names... The KMG from Rob Frink is the freak'n cats pajamas. If you want to be serious about making knives... save up your pennies like I did and BUY ONE! (or three if you have lots of pennies).

I will probably add a Beaumont Metal Works (R Frink) disc grinder in the future too. I used one of his at Josh Smith's hammer in and it was even nicer that the one I've got.

edited to give proper credit where it's due!!!

Great thread. Somebody is going to be REAL happy to snag this piece at Reno. Wow.

Roger

Wow this is an amayzing thread! Thanks for doing this. I have never had much of an opportunity to see damascus being made.

A gorgeous looking knife is taking shape there!

Sean

Another thanks for the giz-whiz small wheel platen pic. And, the whole tutorial is fantastic.

Thanks again, Craig

Again, your work is absolutely amazing! The platen for the small wheel is such an awesome idea for integrals, you will see me making one for my KMG REAL soon! As is everyone else, I'm waiting in great anticipation for the end result of this beauty! Karma has been on your side! See.....it pays to be nice to people after all.....if i had only learned that sooner....;):D

I'm a pretty nice guy, so karma eventually helps me out ;)

Normally I do the transition completely by hand with files, and round stock wrapped with sand-paper... but I whipped up this giz-whiz for the KMG today and like it a lot. It is NOT my idea. I made one like it for my Burr King that was my idea, and it kind of sucked a$$. The one for the KMG was the idea of Jerry Colberson... a bladesmith/gunsmith who just got his Ms last June. My friend Henry Torres sent me some pictures of it.

It's incredily simple but really works for smoothing out that transition. It is NOT something to grind down much stock with. I didn't get any pictures doing it, but most of the steel was hogged off with a 10"serrated wheel on the KMG, and then the flat platen on the Burr King. I wish I had managed to get pics of that that weren't blurry.

I still have to test this biotch. It better not fail or I'm going to be pissed like a pirate that fell asleep only to awaken finding he'd been visited by a hungry beaver... and his peg leg is missing.

Did I really just say all that?

Well, if you can't laugh at yourself... Well, then your just stuck up ;)

For those of you who think I'm getting it done somewhat quickly, you can thank my doctor for diagnosing me with ADD and figuring out how to deal with it. Otherwise I'd still be drawing sketches. Seriously.

Since I'm dropping names... The KMG from Rob Frink is the freak'n cats pajamas. If you want to be serious about making knives... save up your pennies like I did and BUY ONE! (or three if you have lots of pennies).

That jig is pretty sweet! neat idea for a tricky to finish area. I am going to steal that pegleg thing, PRICELESS! Ditto the the KMG plug;), that machine is amazing! It is worth every cent, sell a kidney if you have to get one you will not be dissapointed!

Nick, i want to thank you and your gorgeous shop pixie;) for taking
the time to show this most awesome process, thanks very much!:thumbup: You ever get over east, let me know, you got a hot fire and cold beer waiting for you.

Back