Some Thoughts on Preparedness

Mistwalker

Gold Member
I work for an outfitters now and do, among other things, a YouTube channel for our customers. So I'd like to preface this post with We do not have an online presence, and do not want one. And I've no intentions of becoming some famous youtuber. We are a brick and mortar operation surving our region as best we can, and I put this channel together primarily for the benefit of our local customer base to show them what we carry. and in some cases the people who make it, and then I do preparedness and skills posts to answer some of their questions better than I would have time to do so while working at the store.

As I say in the beginning of the video, it's food for thought on what preparedness is for me from a more practical less sesationalized perspective. Some of the things featired in the video we carry ot we carry versions of. Some are things I use that we do not carry yet. But when it comes to the videos I do on preparedness and putting together contingency kits, and civil unrest kits, I show what I personally carry, whether we sell it yet or not. Because my primary goal, for as long as I have been posting on this forum back in 2007, has always been to teach skills and help understand the mindset behind learning those skills and behind making preparations for hard times.

And now on with the post. With some of the craziness I saw in 2020 and 2021, I hope to develop some conversation on the subject from a more realistic perspective than some of things my customers have told me they've seen on TV and on YouTube. I do not watch TV, haven't voluntarily watched it since 95 and avoid restaurants who try to force me to watch it whether I want to or not. So most TV references will be lost on me. And I spend too much time out in the field taking photos for a plant ID book I'm working on, or conducting my own experiments, or shooting videos to answer my customers questions from my perspective, and then doing all my work and chores as a single dad, so I don't consume much YouTube either...

My experiences with preparedness started with the cold war issues in the 1960s and the bad recession of the early 70s. They started with us keep canned foods and water on hand because my parents and grand parents had experienced the great depression of the 30s and had learned the value of having stored foods on hand while trying to regroup. Dad later built on that ny teaching to the extent he could teach me, how to live off the land and the rivers and the ocean. Those he was primarily into hunting and fishing and fowling as he always had a graden as a kid and as an adult. The flora studies, in wild edibles and wild medicinals I've done I've mostly done on my own over the last 20 years or so, but I haven't gone into that in video, due to the possibility of allergies and all the liabilities in a world where lawyers rule.

This video just goes into some of the basics of preparedness to offer food for thought to the less experienced.

Back