Some toughts on BM 750S and BM 710S

Hello folks,

I've been carrying these 4 knives (plus my Gerber SLG 3.25 but I did a write up on that one before). Since I have the odd habit to customize my knives to my personal wishes All warranties are gone. Soooo here goes:

BM 750S.

The way I got it I left it aside for some time, as it didn't feel very smooth (the ball detent is really pushing the blade) and it was not lefthanded. For the rest, it really shines in hard use, and this lock became my favourite for hard use and durability. the monolock is really kicking ass and if spyderco would make one, heck, I'd buy a lot!. But benchmade has a winner here too. I recommend it to anyone who wants a downright user.

my modifications to adjust it to my needs:

1.Satin finished clip to match the titanium.
2. refinish the handles, as the deep beadblast scratches way too easy.
3. Doublesided tumbstud which I got off my BM 710 since I can flick that one open with both hands.
4. polished everything that moved and replaced washers with Bronze washers wich were also a tad thinner.
5. torched the liner tip to redhot and refinished the rest so it doesn't stand out.

Thinking about anodizing the scales and putting the clip on the butt end altough I seem to like tipdown carry more and more.

BM 710(S)

Excellent knife, nice shape, flowing elegant lines, very good lock (sorry, still like the framelock better). Had a little blade wobble and centering problems, but some new washers and polishing of the pivot area got rid of this (same as the 750S). When I got it, it got a serious dent in one of the teeth.. since I didn't like the half serrated part, I ground the teeth off. This increased the recurve, but hey, I got it as a user. Then one time someone asks me to make an inlay... and I tested making inlays on the 710, with as result that it now has a rattlesnake inlay. It looks bad in pictures, but in real life it looks much cooler. I also polished the clip, looks much better. Even the 750 thumb stud looks good on it. I was even wondering about leaving it off, but the I would have lost the tumbstud in no time in the mess in my workshop.
Usually my lefthanded carry and the pinnacle my righthand.

Next to my SIFU and my Gerber SLG 3.25, I tend to carry this combo more often. The pinnacle is not a tactical blade, but I fail to see where it would not be a tactical folder.
The modifications all about ruined the warranty, so if you want service, don't try and do this at home. Over here is europe, it's more of a hassle to send a knife back then to work on it yourself.

Back