Somebody Please explain how the Microtech Microbar lock works???

I see on their website that they mention a leaf spring lock; they also mention, under "lock" that their knives use the "Microbar lock." Anybody have some explanation as to how that works? And anybody have any idea how strong these knives are? I think I'm in love with the Vector!!
Thanks....
smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KELT34:
I see on their website that they mention a leaf spring lock; they also mention, under "lock" that their knives use the "Microbar lock." Anybody have some explanation as to how that works? And anybody have any idea how strong these knives are? </font>

I just got a Socom Elite which has the Microbar. The slabs are aluminum, so the knife doesn't need liners. Instead of even a one-side full-liner lock, Microtech uses a short piece of metal that attaches about half-way up the handle and, when the blade is opened, is pushed over by a spring to block the tang.

It snaps open with a loud, positive click, and seems very secure. There is no blade play whatsoever. I have not "tested it to destruction" so I can't say at what point the lock might fail.

Incidentally, the big dual thumb studs, and the hump on the blade they ride on, make this an ambidextrous opener. I can release the Microbar left-handed as well, but naturally, have to brush the blade against a surface, and then carefully turn it to close it into the handle.

Not quite the elegant simplicity of my Sebenza, but excellent quality and precision and extremely comfortable in any grip I've tried.

There have been two reported failures of the Microbar lock in the past 2 weeks or so. These weren't structural failures, but the typical liner lock accidental closure failures -- pressure on the spine causes the knife to close. I recommend testing the Microbar like you would a liner lock.

Joe

Thanks! I was following a post concerning the Vector- that one that's a prototype, apparently it has an integral lock....now that i would like!! It's the blade style that really gets me!
I see how the spring would work- jeez, i have the 705 Axis, don't know if i want another spring!

Back