Someone truely EDC a Opinel?

I have some Opinels. They are interesting and pleasing, and are adequate for most things, but they are inexpensive for a reason. You get what you pay for.

All the time!! They are light, cut very well, and usually travel in pairs!
I like them enough that I often cary one or two.

When I go to cattle roundup to brand and often have to cut calves, I always have at least one opinel.
I take them camping, canoeing, to the beach....
zpCDlxI.jpg

rq61FwZ.jpg

hUkncUy.jpg

TmxigP1.jpg

h1os5lm.jpg

Z9QHH8c.jpg

hwcSdpE.jpg

SAFyTG0.jpg

aJiGO4w.jpg

6vtNjb4.jpg

Last edited:
There is always a No. 6 in my pocket, along with a couple of other knives. I think an unmodified Opi is a bit of a lump in the pocket unless it is trimmed down. OTOH, I have trimmed Opis as large as a No.10 to be comfortable in the pocket.

I keep an Opinel N°6 in a small pocket of my cargo shorts. Usually my oak one, sometimes my carbone beech wood, occasionally one of my bubingas.

I5xuzq9.jpg

I think I hit the lottery with the one on the far right. Matched grain on both sides, and a bit of chatoyance in the right light.

I keep an Opinel N°6 in a small pocket of my cargo shorts. Usually my oak one, sometimes my carbone beech wood, occasionally one of my bubingas.

I5xuzq9.jpg

I think I hit the lottery with the one on the far right. Matched grain on both sides, and a bit of chatoyance in the right light.

Pretty good hand you have there, but you need an olive wood to fill it out. An olive wood number 6 would make it a flush in the Opinel game!:thumbsup::D

Pretty good hand you have there, but you need an olive wood to fill it out. An olive wood number 6 would make it a flush in the Opinel game!:thumbsup::D

There's also walnut. I think I went with oak over walnut because it's harder (I think) and it was cheaper at that time, and both seemed equally unimpressive as far as grain and whatnot. An olive one seems like a good choice though.

Opinels are some of best performing knives for any price ...theyre bulky to carry but still get amazingly sharp and have decent steel easy to sharpen.They should make opinels with flatter handles,zytel or micarta handles,and even make variants with liner or backlock.Blade geometry is superb ,and that cuts,12c27 mod is pretty good.Carbon is good enough,should be little harder.I use them every day,but still overall victorinox is better .Victorinox and opinel are the only knives i im buying and will buy in future,their kitchen models too.I edc opinel garden knife....ecxellent performer.

Back