Something a little different

Well, this knife was a bit of a change for me. I've been mostly making folding knives, but someone came along and ordered a skinner so I gave it a go. I probably would not have made this style knife on my own. However, it ended up being a nice change from the folders, and it was kind of fun. The overall length of the knife is 6 1/4 inches. It has a 2 1/4 inch O1 blade, teak scales, brass pins, and red spacers. The gentleman who ordered the knife is a boater, so he requested that I use a piece of teak that he had left over from restoring a boat.

Thanks -chris

image.asp

That big hole was a pain in the..... elbow!

I started off by scribing around a quarter. Then I drilled about 16 holes with a 3/32 inch bit on the inside of the scribed line. After that I took a jewelers saw and sawed between the small holes. This left a jagged edge all of the way around the hole. Then I took a 1/2 round file and filled all of the jagged edges down smooth. I finished up by wrapping different grits of sand paper around the 1/2 round file and cleaned it up nice and smooth. The hole is not perfectly round, but it's close enough that you would not know it unless you really studied it.

I have two more of these knives to make. I'm thinking about trying to find a 1" cutter.

-chris

I've used a hole saw, not the diamond blade, on mild steel with good results. You'll kick yourself for not buying one for this project.

How did you finish the teak? Super glue? I've got some steak knives to finish and I want to use teak also for a boater.

Thanks, Lynn

Get a bi-metal hole saw. Blu-Mole brand is quite good. These (and most others) come with a center pilot drill bit you move from saw to saw. Watch out when it is ready to break through, it really grabs and wants to helicopter. I never hold it by hand -- anymore...

Back