Something about my Caly 3 that mine doesn't have?

I just got a new Spyderco Caly 3 in the mail and mine doesn't have that copperish color clip. Mine is just plain chrome colored and I was hoping mine would have that copper colored one that I've seen on so many others online. Does anyone know why mine didn't come with one? or where I could buy one would be helpful. thanks

I just got a new Spyderco Caly 3 in the mail and mine doesn't have that copperish color clip. Mine is just plain chrome colored and I was hoping mine would have that copper colored one that I've seen on so many others online. Does anyone know why mine didn't come with one? or where I could buy one would be helpful. thanks

Mine also came with the plain silver clip, and I remember being bummed I didn't get the copperish looking one too. Now, I just carry it without a clip like a traditional.

I also prefer the darker wire clips. I've tried to buy them at the SFO a few times, but they were always out. I haven't asked recently, though. The idea is that, at some point, I will replace the shiny wire clips in my knives with darker ones. I think they cost $7 each.

I read on this forum recently that Al Mar makes all the Caly's for Spyderco. They may be out of the copper colored clips now.

If you look at the letter y on the word Spyderco, just on Caly's, it's curved not straight like the y on other Spydies.

I read on this forum recently that Al Mar makes all the Caly's for Spyderco. They may be out of the copper colored clips now.

If you look at the letter y on the word Spyderco, just on Caly's, it's curved not straight like the y on other Spydies.

I haven't heard of Al Mar making knives for Spyderco. Last I heard, all of the Caly designs are made by Moki.

I believe that the copper colored clips are heat treated (to retain shape), whereas the chrome clips are not. I think this is just a cost-saving measure from Spyderco. I have not heard many reports of the chrome clips being too weak to retain the knife in pocket. But I do prefer the copper color since it attracts less attention.

What is this store that you know of that sales the clips? Do they have a website

What is SFO? I would like to know if you know where I can buy the copper colored clip online?

I also noticed I found 2 different kinds of the caly 3 listed online the first one is labeled

C113CFP and the other C113CFPE maybe only a certain one has the darker clip.

I much prefer the tempered wire clips. I ordered a few after I got a Sage 1 a couple of years ago with the silver.
They look much better, and aren't as noticeable when clipped in pocket.
For some reason I'm thinking they quit making them ???

I also prefer the darker wire clips. I've tried to buy them at the SFO a few times, but they were always out. I haven't asked recently, though. The idea is that, at some point, I will replace the shiny wire clips in my knives with darker ones. I think they cost $7 each.

I am wondering what the SFO is? I never heard of it but do you know of anywhere online that might be selling the copper colored clip?

I applied Super Blue liquid gun blue to my Caly 3.5 wire clip and it formed a nice dark gray patina. It eventually wears off but you can always reapply.

I haven't heard of Al Mar making knives for Spyderco. Last I heard, all of the Caly designs are made by Moki.

You may be right about Moki making the Caly for Spyderco. I'm sure the BF member who made the post about the letter y being curved on the Caly was taking about Al Mar tho.

Stick the clip under your stove fire for like a minute or so. It will get darker that way.

I have heated pocket clips before with a torch to change the colour and it didn't seem to effect the retention.

Yep, just put it in a flame. Let it get red hot, only takes a couple seconds for wire that thin. No need to put it in the flame for a minute as that long may actually damage it some. When done it should be darker and even have some blue, purple, and a bronze color. Can look pretty cool but will wear and scratch over time.

Back