Something else is wrong with my computer(and its not spyware)

Well I got rid of the spyware..or at least I think I did. I ran all the protection about 100 times each although spybot keeps picking up a "Tracking co...". If I'm on long enough the right-click doesn't work, I can't open links and when I close IE and open it again it doesn't load right(the history button opens the favorites or reveals a blank sidepanel). I ran McAfee but it said I had no viruses. Anyone have experience with this kind of problem? Thanks again, guys and gals! :eek:

:grumpy: :eyetwitchy:

When's the last time you ran microsoft patches?

Personally, I quit using IE quite a while ago. I haven't had a single problem since I started using mozilla.

Never downloaded patches. I've sent off for a free microsoft CD awhile ago so I guess I'll install 'em when it gets here. Hopefully it'll help.

Danelle O'Shea said:
When's the last time you ran microsoft patches?

Personally, I quit using IE quite a while ago. I haven't had a single problem since I started using mozilla.

What the heck is mozilla, is it free, and will it work ok with my old Windows '98?

Firefox is the greatest piece of software ever created by mankind.

OK, maybe Pong was better, but its a close call.

Go to http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and download it, it is Free as in it doesn't cost money, as well as free as in anyone can grab the source and play with it.

It's standard compliant, renders things properly, blocks pup-ups by default, and has more extensions than I can believe.

Firefox is the smaller, sleeker brother to Mozilla proper. If Mozilla is a limousine, Firefox is a jet fighter.

Also, unless you need Outlook specifically, you might enjoy Thunderbird, which is the Mozilla organization's email client. I use it exclusively and install it on all of my clients' machines and it's never failed me yet.

Thunderbird is located at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

I can't imagine why they wouldn't run on 98. If anything I suspect they'd be faster. I've never done it so I can't comment from experience, but I'd be astonished if it didn't work.

Happy surfing!

1. Install "Hijack this" and "About Buster" .

2. Create shortcuts for each program on your desktop.

3. Reboot in Safe Mode

4. Run "Hijack This" from the shortcut on your desktop, making sure not to delete any necessary entries from HKLM/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run*

5. Run "About Buster" from the shortcut on your desktop

6. Reboot immediately in normal mode

7. Run all current Windows updates

Fire Fox is a streamlined version of the Mozilla open source browser (which was the basis for netscape). It runs without an install directly from the exicutable. Runs great on Win 98 or any other form of windows above 95. It will not run activeX thanks to Microsoft but will run windows media files along with most other media stuff. Most people don't realize that you can run more than one browser in windows, even at the same time. So everyone who is having trouble with spyware, popups, security holes, etc. should try Firefox. If you run into a site that doesn't work just start IE. The few switches to IE that you will have to do is a lot easier than chasing spyware and trojans forever. Don't forget to drop the webmaster a line and tell them their site doesn't work with mozilla and most of them will fix the problem.

Tom :D

If nothing else works just save the important stuff on your computer and take it to the local computer store and have the hard drive erased, then reinstal windows and all the important stuff. I had it done for $45 recently. Couldn't believe how much it helped. But that's my two cents.

Back