Something old (school), and 2 that're new

WalterDavis

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've always been more of a big knife kinda guy, pretty fond of my Ratweiler and the Steel Hearts I've had recently, but I've slowly been downsizing the knife on my side. Not going for petite, by any means:D, but more of a belt knife, less of a chopper. Heading in that direction, here are a couple that I just picked up!

First, a Scagel inspired blade from William Crump. I really like his work, and I'm a sucker for Scagel's flowing lines, so when a chance to trade into this one came up, I jumped!
laconicoandcrump014.jpg

And a couple of weeks ago, Tony put up a picture of a couple of Ray Laconico's knives that he'd aquired. I offered to take one off his hands if the need should arise, and he took me up on the offer:eek: And knowing that I've got a little spare time on my hands, he even threw in a little fire kit to keep me busy learning a new skill! Thanks, Tony:thumbup:
laconicoandcrump010.jpg

I didn't even realize it when I was picking these up, but they come in very close to the same size.
laconicoandcrump019.jpg

But considering that they're both outdoors oriented blades of basically the same lengths, they're as different as can be. Forged and sporting the natural handle material, the Crump has a thicker blade with a full convex grind. Stock removal and micarta, the Laconico is thinner, and flat ground to a very thin edge. I'm going to have a lot of fun testing these two!

laconicoandcrump026.jpg

Anyway, I just wanted to show off my new toys, and say Thanks to Tony for the hookup:thumbup: I can't wait to get out into the woods and try these two out!

You're supposed to be MAKING knives while you are laid up, not acquiring knives!!!!!!:grumpy:

You're supposed to be MAKING knives while you are laid up, not acquiring knives!!!!!!:grumpy:

I'm trying hard, I promise:D But it's amazing how quick standing on one leg gets old, especially when the broke leg has to stay out of the way of sparks from the grinder:p I'm really itching to fire up the forge, but I'm not going to until I can run away in case of a fire, or at least jump when I drop a piece of red-hot steel:foot:

The crump is nice, what steel are they? What finish is on the Laconico? That Black on Black gets me everytime?

The crump is nice, what steel are they? What finish is on the Laconico? That Black on Black gets me everytime?

The Crump is forge 1084, the Laconico is 1095. The finish on the Laconico is his 'worn finish', which looks to be a forced patina of sorts. It's definitely good looking, and should wear in nicely:thumbup:

Nice knives Walter. I always like those Scagel styles. The combination of brass, leather and stag is just cool looking. The finish on mine is a forced patina "worn finish".

Back