1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Something so trivial, that made my day

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Boston_Strong, Dec 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston_Strong

Boston_Strong

Jul 7, 2016
    Forgive me if I ramble a little...

So today was an epic day for me. Today I got to bring home my TW90. (My first grinder mind you) I had to wait six weeks while it was built, so needless to say, I was ecstatic that the day had finally come. I was even more excited when I got it home, unpacked it and mounted it to my workbench. But before I ever fired it up, something so trivial (you might even say it was stupid) happened, and it absolutely made my day. What was this eye opening, day making thing you ask? Well before I fired it my grinder I figured maybe I should read the manual for the motor. So that's just what I did, I read the whole manual cover to cover. That is something that I can honestly say I have never done before. I have never read a manual cover to cover before, because normally a manual is written in a crap ton of languages right? Well get this... this manual was written 100% in bonafide American speak (English). I don't know about you, but I have never seen a single manual that was written only in English. I've seen plenty where the Spanish, French and even the Chinese versions came before the English, I've even opened up a manual that was only in spanish but never one just in English... well I'm sure that a lot of you will probably think this is stupid, but it really made my day to read a manual that put Americans first because so often today America and Americans are belittled and put down.

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    That's awesome, not a lot of 100% English manuals anymore. The manual for my grandfather's SKILLSAW from the early 90's is all English I believe, but it's from some of the last American made SKILL tools so I may have to look again.

3. Nap

Nap

Sep 9, 2015
    Osio Nap dawado.

But sure. I guess Victorinox should print their literature exclusively in German.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  4. Chopper88

Chopper88

Oct 16, 2015
    So you're happy other people might not be able to understand the manual of the product they just bought?
    And you don't like it when another language comes first in a manual, while there are more people speaking those languages across the world?

"but it really made my day to read a manual that put Americans first because so often today America and Americans are belittled and put down."

I think you are really missing the point of manuals or business. Manuals are in multiple languages so more people can understand/buy things, and other languages might come first because 50.000 units of a product are sold to China, while 2000 units are sold in the US. Or they might be in Spanish only because it was manufactured in Spain, or the company owner is Spanish, and no one speaks proper English at the factory or whatever 10.000 other valid reasons there are.

Not once has it entered my mind that an entire nation might be belittled because of a language being there or not, or in a specific order in a manual. Not once.

5. Herlock

Herlock

May 13, 2015
    Hi! Congrats for the new grinder :) . English is still the third mostly spoken language in the world so it comes with no surprise most user manuals put it among the first languages. If Wuertz only sell his tools in US, it makes sense having English/American as the only language, a company can save some money on manuals :) ! In the company I work for we have at least 35 languages on consumers products and sometimes labels are bigger than the products :D! As far as America and Americans being "belittled and put down", itÂ’s really not my impression but, hey, you have now a clear agenda to make it great again, or :):p? Have fun with the grinder, it looks a good tool!

6. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Ummmm, perhaps this can go in whine and cheese. Nationalism is not a knife related topic.

7. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    "American speak" that explains your post

8. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    This needs a whole lot more knife content and a whole lot less political content. That would make my day.

9. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    Sorry....this post doesn't belong in the general KNIFE discussion forum and you don't have the proper membership to participate in the Political Arena. Closed.

10. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    The GENERAL KNIFE DISCUSSION is not the proper forum for political topics.
    That would be the POLITICAL ARENA. But you need a paid membership to post there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.