Sony Xplod radio problems

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
When I bought my truck it had a Sony Xplod 52WX4 stereo. Other than it shutting off by itself a few times its run fine. About a month ago, the face would freeze. I could press all the buttons, nothing happened, except the stereo shut off. This happened a few times and when I restarted the truck the buttons worked fine. Over the past week it's been doing the same thing and tonight it gave up the ghost. Before I get another stereo, any ideas? The stereo worked earlier, I could cycle through the radio, cd player and aux jack, but couldn't change bands/stations or tracks. Now it won't even turn on. I have not checked the fuse yet, but if it was a bad fuse, wouldn't the radio not turn on at all from the beginning? Could be a fuse now, but before?

Any ideas?

I'm not looking at getting any types of Alpine or Bose sound systems either. I just want something to play the radio, play cds and play my iPod or iPhone through. Basic is best.

Maybe try searching the web for a firmware upgrade on it? Is there a reset button somewhere on it? I would look at the manual and look for one. Sounds like the firmware is funky. I upgrade and fix car audio equipment quite regularly. Look on crutchfield.com. They usually include the wiring. If wiring, I would suggest soldering the new harness and using heat shrink, it's how I do all my work.

No manual but I will look for a reset button. I thought it was because I had a new battery installed that it was acting up, and thought it would reset itself.

Depending how long the battery was out it may reset itself. I've unhooked my battery for a while and it still kept settings. I would look for a firmware update as well. You put it in a flash drive and plug it in and hit a few buttons if it does. What kind of truck?

My grandfather has the same truck. I would try what i suggested. If you go buy a different radio be aware that your current radio will have an antenna adapter that is proprietary to GM audio installs, be sure to remove it from the back of the radio. If you need more help, feel free to PM me. Walmart has decent pioneer units if you were looking for a new one if the above suggested doesn't work. Make sure you get the correct wiring harness for it, or snip it off the existing radio with that antenna adapter.

Thank you sir, I'm going to try to salvage it. I thought it was a security system at first. When I came to work today, the radio would not turn on. When I went to lunch, it turned on, but didn't work. When I came out of the Wawa, it didn't turn on. It might turn on when I leave work this evening. Strange to me man.

Maybe one of the traces on the board inside the radio is cracked and expands when the truck gets warm and creates contact, but when cooled down contracts and causes no connection. Have you pulled out the head unit and inspected? Before junking it, if you have a soldering gun, strip all the wires and solder it all together and either shrink wrap or tape over the soldered wires and see if it helps. I had gotten a sony xplod from a buddy, when he pulled it out of his truck it was still working, walked up the road and hooked it up to my car and nothing. Very strange. Sony xplod isn't the best around, but they aren't bad either. Soldering speakers, head units, etc also creates a stronger connection with less resistance across wires, plus it makes the wire bundles a lot smaller. Does it have a detachable face plate? You can check here http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER if you know the model number and download a manual, see if there are drivers and also troubleshoot. Good luck! I have a clarion unit i love, worked with all the iDevices out right now and i bought it about two years ago, even allows me to play music radio apps off my iphone.

Well, it's stuck on AUX IN, so I plugged my iphone in this morning on the way to work and listened to Pandora. No problems going through the system, played great on the truck speakers. No controls on the radio, though. I will take it out over the weekend and see if I can find a manual.

Yeah. Maybe wiring it back up again will do the trick. You'll be neatening up the wiring and the radio will self reset from having no power feed. Let us know how it goes!

Back