[sort of off topic] Bladeforums ad system a bit intrusive

snowwolf

Gold Member
Since a couples of days, I notice this kukripalace ad right on top of the HI forum section.

I don't know if these ads or forum specific. Still, this is borderline appropriate.

I understand BF needs funding but I don't think it is right to advertize competitors in a vendor specific section.

If you old timers don't care about it, I'm not going to bring it up to the moderators, but if you are with me on this, I will send a note.

What do you think?

How about ponying up for a membership since you understand BF needs money?

Just sayin

P

well i ponied up for membership and so did many others , so why the new crappy ad system?-- so to say i think its just a engine search, like my ads are all antiques and guns , but yeah the whole reason I paid membership was to avoid this kind of intrusion , so kinda with snow on this one, why the change and no notice? im sure if there had been a drive for money" if we dont get more gold and plat memberships we will be going to new crappy ad system"

Ok - I want to make my point very clear. The intent is not to launch a debate on the ads system.

The issue is when a big fat and colorful ad for Kukri Palace pops up right on top of a forum subsection dedicated to Hymalayan Imports which is also a Kukri business. Not cool.

A&W does not advertize hamburgers in a McDonald's restaurant.

Guys, we have been discussing this in the proper place, Tech Support. If you don't check there, you don't get to read about website specific concerns. Spark is very aware, in fact:

Testing Banner Ads - it's not a bug, it's me screwing things up
Started by Spark, 01-07-2014 11:02 PM

You don't need to read all that. Here's the short form. We had ads for non-paying members. The ad program was not great. Malware, sometimes. Spark shut it down. Recently he has been testing a new ad program, and the final test phase included everyone seeing the ads -- but once it goes live, again only non-paying members will be exposed to them. He had hoped to wrap this up before leaving for SHOT, but could not get it done. I would guess by the weekend, we'll be OK. Then he'll be able to address some other glitches, like slow loading.

Incidentally, if you go to the H.I.Cantina Forum Page, look at the top Announcement: Banner Ad testing 1/7 through 1/20

Last edited:
Guys, we have been discussing this in the proper place, Tech Support. If you don't check there, you don't get to read about website specific concerns. Spark is very aware, in fact:

but once it goes live, again only non-paying members will be exposed to them. He had hoped to wrap this up before leaving for SHOT, but could not get it done. I would guess by the weekend, we'll be OK. Then he'll be able to address some other glitches, like slow loading.

Thanks for the clarification, my concern was not about running ads in general. It's was about having specific ads directly competing with vendor in their own sub-forums.

eg Kukri Palace ad visible while browsing Himalayan Imports forum.

Thanks for the clarification, my concern was not about running ads in general. It's was about having specific ads directly competing with vendor in their own sub-forums.

eg Kukri Palace ad visible while browsing Himalayan Imports forum.

These ads are not fixed for everyone. They are like Google ads in other forums and email. They present topics the viewers habits show an interest in. So khukuri enthusiasts anywhere on Bladeforums will be more likely to see khukuri ads.

It's actually scary just how tailored the google ads are to each individual.

Well glad we got that figured out. I have adbloc so that must be why I didn't see em. Happy happy happy.

I find the tailoring laughable, wherever I encounter it. Why would they waste my time showing items and dealers with which they know I'm already familiar. Precisely the ads I don't need. Show me something new and amusing.

I spent a lot time walking miles on Madison Avenue in NYC, that paradigm of the ad industry. Walking home from work, window shopping, dining. Mostly though, a stuffy, overpriced district. I much preferred Second and Third and Lexington Avenues. :D

Back