South African Maker - Gavin Dickerson

At Vegas there was a South African maker who I hadn't heard of before - Gavin Dickerson. He had some amazing looking pieces on his table that were pretty well priced. I ended up picking up a piece from him:

dickerson.jpg

It came with a very nice pouch that his mom sewed for him. It's one of the fancier pieces in my little collection, and since I picked up it up from him on Saturday night right at the close of the show, I didn't have a lot of time to talk to him. Does anyone know about him?

Thanks,
Mitch

Marc,

I am a southpaw and make very rare exception to buying righty knives. I walked by his table on Friday, but he was not around. All the knives on his table were great, but this one and a few others really stood out. I wasn't going to buy it as I had already spent my budget, but on Saturday night I decided that I couldn't pass it up.

I think he's a new maker, because there are small things that aren't right on - like he masked a little too much on tang - you can see an unetched section near the upper part of the bolster. But these things are minor and they're part of the learning curve. It just adds character to a stunning piece.

Still searching for info about him!

~Mitch

I got from Gavin a pushdagger for my wife. Very good job for a very good price!

Just did my own websearch on him (imagine that!)...lots of info out there. Apparently he's been making for 16 years, but folders only in the past year or so! Amazing!

~Mitch

Got to spend a little time with Gavin last year at Blade and was impressed with his work and felt fortunate to meet him. Good guy! He was stuck with me in my car for over an hour in Atlanta traffic and he never even got close to being scared. :D

Very nice knife U.W. thanks for sharing it with us. Gavin drops in here every once in a while.

Back