south carolina knife laws

I've been looking into this topic and have only found laws stating that you cant have them on school property or in the commision of a crime(neither of which I plan to do lol). I haven't had the chance to speak to a police officer here in myrtle beach but did speak to beach patrol and they said there is no carry law. I've also heard another person say that they won't bother you if its under 4". Can anyone help m with this topic, provide links to, etc?

SC is pretty forgiving for the most part, and your research so far sounds correct. Knives are legal to carry so long as your not committing a crime or on K-12 school property.

SECTION 16-23-460.

A) A person carrying a deadly weapon usually used for the infliction of personal injury concealed about his person is guilty of a misdemeanor, must forfeit to the county, or, if convicted in a municipal court, to the municipality, the concealed weapon, and must be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not less than thirty days nor more than ninety days.
(C) The provisions of this section also do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, knives, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.htm

It depends on where you live. Greenville, SC for example, has legislation that forbids blades larger than 3 inches. That said, I've carried a ZT300 for quite some time and never been bothered...

I would check your local jurisdiction to be sure but, glistam is right, SC is pretty forgiving for the most part.

Definatley check the municipal laws, charleston and north charleston are less than 3", unless at a school and then it's less than 2".

I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach next week for vacation. I'll be packing my Spyderco Delica 4 but was wondering about taking my ESEE Izula...like a backpocket or cargo pocket knife ? Can anyone tell me about this ? I have my CCDW permit here in Ky.

About two years ago, my girlfriend and I drove from Dracut, MA to Charleston, SC (shake-down cruise for my new Tacoma pickup, LOL!) Spent a week there and loved the city, especially the barbecue! Carried a 4" lockblade folder the whole time (even at Ft. Sumter) and never had a problem. I did see a lot of pocket clips down there, so it looks like I had plenty of company.

Are there any laws against fixed blades? Im going to myrtle beach this summer and would like to carry a fixed blade.

Are there any laws against fixed blades? Im going to myrtle beach this summer and would like to carry a fixed blade.

Nope, the new law allows all knives of any type across the board, unless prohibited by local county or city municipal code.

Thanks so much to all! yes, I work near but not in greenville (Spartanburg actually) so was wondering, I think I am OK!

Hey Tom1960, next time you goet to Charley-town, go to Hymans Seafood - it is one of the best seafood restaurants in the US!

This is a copy paste from another forum that I posted this on. Automatics were the specific knives in question but there are answers for length as well. They had answers across the board but each officer I spoke to told me that you wouldn't be bothered as long as your not committing a crime or waving it around.

So I got a wild hair today and decided to call SLED(South Carolina Law enforcement), Horry County Police, Myrtle Beach Police, and North Myrtle Beach Police.

SLED which is pretty much state police to my understanding..... says that knives are not regulated by them at all and that they fall under city and county ordinances.

Myrtle Beach police said that all pocket knives are ok as well as automatic knives.

North Myrtle Beach Police said that they have a 3" limit and automatics are ok.

Horry County(which is what MB and all surrounding cities fall under) said that there is a 2" limit..... I plan on calling back and speaking to someone else on this issue because when I asked this officer "I have a question about the legal carry of pocket knives in Horry County, can you help me with that?" his response was "Uhhhhhhhhhh, ill try"...... so I'm taking that one with a grain of salt until I can speak to someone else that sounds at the very least mildly confidant in their answer.

The general consensus is that automatics are ok and..... Not one of the above departments view a pocket knife as a weapon unless it is on your person during the commission of a crime. In other words.... they wont bother you as long as your not committing a crime. I will do my best to remember to update the horry county side of things.

someone will have to school me on which laws overtake which..... city takes precedence over county?

Thanks so much to all! yes, I work near but not in greenville (Spartanburg actually) so was wondering, I think I am OK!

Hey Tom1960, next time you goet to Charley-town, go to Hymans Seafood - it is one of the best seafood restaurants in the US!

Greenville has a 3" limit to my knowledge and autos are not ok there(could be wrong but would have to call the PD to find out).... My brother goes to furman so I spend quite a bit of time there.

just got off the phone with the Horry County Sherriff and confirmed a 4" limit as well as automatics of any type being illegal by county ordinance

Back