Southern California Custom Knife Show

eisman

Gold Member
I just happened to be in SoCal this past weekend and having a few free hours on Sunday I decided to look at sharp pointy objects for a while. This is the first year under new management for this show and, as often happens, Sunday was less well attended (by both the public AND exhibitors).

H9S4RVa.jpg

The picture is right after opening (which wasn't until 11 am). Note the first thing you see walking in is empty tables. NOT a good impression. My understanding was that Saturday was very busy, so I do hope the show was good enough to keep around.

xExNs7A.jpg

I'd say that 25% of the show was material suppliers, 40% actually makers, and the rest dealers on one kind or another. A number of the makers were out of stock when I came thru, which is good for them. A number of the dealers had stuff they had bought from those guys who were sold out, which tells me that a) the dealers were there to flip as much as sell straight out, and b) those makers did a disservice to themselves and the public who actually wanted one of their knives. I don't blame them for selling, but they could have held off selling to dealers until the end of the show.

vvNF0QK.jpg

I'm mostly a traditional guy, so displays like this always get my attention. Likewise, I appreciate being able to actually talk to some of the guys, which you can't do when it's too busy.

I spent some time talking with Rick and Mike at the Hinderer table. I just acquired my first of their knives and I'm having trouble getting used to the "flipping". They gave me some good tips, and we talked about their new slipjoint and some of the other stuff they're working on.

jjz2j3U.jpg

I also said hello to Hiroki Ohta, who didn't have much left on his table. I happened to be carrying one of his slipjoints, and he lit up when I pulled it out. (If you haven't had the pleasure you should look at these, he has some of the best stag in the industry.)

XwB09hV.jpg

This was not a really big show, but it was pretty local, so there were some very good makers I hadn't seen before. If I was local I'd put it on the calendar for next year.

Wow, that show looks like it was dead that day. :/

I'm local and had no idea this show was going on

As an ex-marketing guy I really don't know what goes on with advertising shows like this. They suck at getting the word out! Blade West is a case in point. If I had not been at the Eugene show I very probably would not have known about it. There's almost nothing on this BBS, they had no advertising that I saw on any knife related forum I visit, and nobody I know listens to radio any more so I couldn't say if they used that. But there was darn little in print, papers, magazines, at gun shows, or even just pasted up around town. They could have easily got the names of 20-30 thousand knife guys and done direct mailing. It's not that expensive. Or targeted social media...

It was a great time! Loved every minute I was there. I'll post some pics of my scores shortly.

This was the former Plaza Cutlery Show, yes?

I really wanted to attend, but I was under the impression doors didn’t open until noon. I was working an odd shift last weekend and commuting both ways from San Diego just wouldn’t have given me enough time on the floor. An extra hour might have made it worth my while.

Really bumed I didn’t get to go. There is a dearth of knife dealers south of LA, making it impossible to handle most things before purchase.

Oh, and I agree with the horrible marketing. There was like one Facebook post and the website details were sparse until right before the event. If you consider the population density of SoCal, it seems a much bigger show would be possible.

Last edited:
It was a great little show, Recon1 knows who their core audience is and their "star" makers all did well, I'm sure.
The empty table in the first picture was Olamic's table on Saturday; kind of surprised they would disappear. I remember incorrectly, that empty spot is marked as Iglesias, Sharkniv and Barahas.

Last edited:
I was there Saturday with my apprentice. It was as a whole, disappointing. The only redeeming part was getting to meet some of the people I interact with via IG and the couple hours I spent talking to Bill Herndon the night before.

CM - Eugene is 5-6 times bigger, easy. I missed Blade West, but the eastern Blade show is 30 times plus. Gotta go where the people are.

Was any dealer selling any type of Automatic Knife?
I found this California Knife Law item covering automatic knives, if it is still in effect i don't know.
=======
Switch blades are generally defined as knives that look like folding knives but lack the above elements. (thumb stud, bias toward the closed position etc). They include spring blades, snap blades, gravity knives or any knife which can be opened automatically. Automatically, meaning by a mechanism, spring, gravity, flick of the wrist etc. The blade must be 2 inches in length or longer in order to be classified as a switch blade. Switch blades are illegal to sell or give away. They are illegal to carry in public, concealed or open. Penal Code section 17235.
==========
Stated in Penal Code 17235 and Penal Code 21510, California has strict laws regulating the sale and possession of switchblades.

Specifically, if a switchblade has a blade two inches or more in length, it is a crime to:

• Possess the knife in the passenger's or driver's area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public,
  • Carry the switchblade upon your person, or
  • Sell, offer or expose for sale, or loan, transfer, or give the knife to anyone else.1
Violation of California's switchblade laws is a misdemeanor offense, punishable by either:

• Probation, and/or
  • up to six months in county jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000.
Unlike some other knives, which may be carried on your person if closed or if openly worn, switchblades may not be carried at all, even if the blade is not exposed.2 In other words, there is no "open-carry" exception to the switchblade laws.

And if you carry a switchblade concealed on your person, you could be charged instead with a violation of Penal Code 21310, which prohibits carrying a concealed "dirk" or "dagger."3 If you are convicted of carrying a concealed dirk or dagger, you could face up to 3 years in state prison.

Protech had a table but everything they had was CA legal.
I used to live in California bought a house there worked there, this was in from 1965 to 1969.
Today i would not even visit California, and i feel sorry for the dealers selling knives and people buying knives and carrying them in that state.

Having to worry if i was 100% following California knife laws, if selling knifes or carrying them would keep me up at night.

Protect had way more than CA legal stuff. So did Microtech, Heretic, and many other dealers. Balisongs as well. They were being sold openly without regard for the law. It's always been this way.

Protect had way more than CA legal stuff. So did Microtech, Heretic, and many other dealers. Balisongs as well. They were being sold openly without regard for the law. It's always been this way.
Am sure the dealers know they are going to leave California after the show, but as for the buyers of any knife outside of being California legal i just say good luck.

People don't realize that california is a right to posess State of any size auto. I own several. In fact, Ross Cutlery in the City of Los Angeles sells several full size autos.
At least we can conceal carry out here. A State like Wyoming has horrible laws and Montana, an auto has to be 1.5" or less.

Last edited:
It was a great little show, Recon1 knows who their core audience is and their "star" makers all did well, I'm sure.
The empty table in the first picture was Olamic's table on Saturday; kind of surprised they would disappear.
Olamic made a strong showing on Sunday. They had a great variety of knives on display, and most times I looked over, Eugene was engaged in conversation, sometimes with a crowd around his table. It was a pleasure to speak with him, and I know he was there til after I left, around 2 pm.

I was three tables down in the same row and there until 6:15PM on Saturday. In the photo in this thread you can see me by my table, past the gentleman in the red shirt.

The empty table in the first picture was Olamic's table on Saturday; kind of surprised they would disappear.

I was three tables down in the same row and there until 6:15PM on Saturday. In the photo in this thread you can see me by my table, past the gentleman in the red shirt.
My mistake, I was forgetting about the center block.

(Eugene, I didn't recognize you in the picture without the Aloha shirt!)

Back