Recommendation? Southern Grind Penguin bearings

Hi guys, I’ve been a long time looker, but never posted. First, I’d like to apologize if I’m posting this in the incorrect section.

I’d like to replace the bearings on my Southern Grind Penguin, and have yet to find something online for it. As of right now, any oiling of the current bearings will leave a black goo in the pivot which then gums up the action. So I believe it’s the cage the bearings are in that are leaving this black goo.

Im hoping that someone’s replaced thiers in the past and could point me in the right direction, worse case scenario I’ll contact southern grind.

Skiff rocket bearings have worked well for a lot of knives, esp ZT's. Don't know what size the Southern Grind would accept though. The goo could also just be part of the normal breaking in process, metal dust getting in the oil.

Skiff rocket bearings have worked well for a lot of knives, esp ZT's. Don't know what size the Southern Grind would accept though. The goo could also just be part of the normal breaking in process, metal dust getting in the oil.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into them. The knife is actually a couple years old, I’m not the original owner. I strongly believe it’s whatever the bearing cage is made of(plastic?) that is breaking down and leaving residue.

Try cleaning the bearings with some alcohol. Maybe they need a good washing....
I tried that, but I believe it’s whatever the bearing cage is made of that is possibly breaking down. The knife is a couple years old and I’m not the original owner.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into them. The knife is actually a couple years old, I’m not the original owner. I strongly believe it’s whatever the bearing cage is made of(plastic?) that is breaking down and leaving residue.

Ah ok, its definitely broken in by now lol. It probably is the plastic cage, I've heard someone report that the plastic cages on Kizers can sometimes "swell up" and impede the action over time. Something similar could be happening here. Hope you're able to get it fixed!

Just be aware that the Penguin has a multi track bearing system, not a regular single row system, so it may be hard to find aftermarket replacements. Southern Grind has excellent customer service, I would give them a call if I were you.

I've heard someone report that the plastic cages on Kizers can sometimes "swell up" and impede the action over time. Something similar could be happening here. Hope you're able to get it fixed!

The plastic cages on my Spyderco Southard have swolen a time or two also. I think it’s one of the lubricants I’ve used, though I haven't proven my hunch.

I had to gently relieve the outer diameter of the cage with sandpaper, but it’s flipping great now

Just wanted to update for those interested. Southern Grind CS was awesome to work with. I spoke with Darren Head over at SG, cool dude. He simply asked if I wanted to send the blade back for them to swap the bearings or if I wanted the bearings mailed to me. They had the new bearings mailed out and in my mail box within 3 days. It’s already put back together and flipping good.

https://imgur.com/gallery/uW5FLX6

uW5FLX6  thought I’d add some pictures

thought I’d add some pictures

Awesome! It's always good to hear of a company taking care of and trusting their customers enough to send out internal parts like that.

Back