Southwestern style sheaths for critique please

John Cahoon

JWC Custom Knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello, I have here a handful of sheaths that I would highly value your opinions and critique. I know they are pretty old school, I don't see this general style displayed much here. The idea is to keep southwest rock art designs (but there's a northwest totem or two thrown in). I have not seen many sheaths using traditional lacing either and have wondered why. These are simply tooled, the mottling is from common yard quartz with pointy ends, satin finish. I can't say much about the leather cause its been sitting in my closet for a while, but it's pretty thick. They are double loop laced with thin welts and the knives fit tightly.

thanks in advance,

John
Edited to delete old photos, ran out of allowable space on BF

Last edited:
Well, John, the sheaths are nicely done. I was happy to read that they have welts, especially being laced. You are right about them being old school. There are still a few makers doing the lace, but nothing like back in the fifties and sixties. I can't really tell from the photos, but it looks like they have not been treated with any kind of oil or other preservative, although the last photo does look like its had some sort of finish applied.

Knife sheath styles tend to change along with what is popular in the knives themselves. Bowies are making a pretty good surge right now so maybe we'll see some more old school influence pop up.

Look up some posts by @byoffcr in this very forum to see some really nice period work and a lot of spot snd lace work. Well worth your time.

Welcome to this corner of the forum. Hope to see more of you and your work soon.

Paul

Last edited:
Just never been a fan of the lacing. Mostly from a durability standpoint more than anything I guess. However I'd have to say you did it very well. Really like your tooling, very well done. Also welcome and keep posting!

Thanks everyone for your input. It does have a satin sheen (Tandy product) but it's fairly subtle. Should I do multiple coats? I actually started leatherwork 50 years ago in 4H and still have basically the same tools and stamps even, so the fifties and sixties comment hit home, guess I have not progressed much at all:>). I do enjoy this corner of the forum very much, it's inspiring what breathtaking work is shown here.

Edit to add... I don't have 50 years experience, I stopped after 4H, then started again in my 40's when I started making knives, then had a 15 year hiatus when real life took over, and I just started again last year.

Last edited:
Back