SP-48 Questions

Hey Ontario guys,

I'm not having much luck in General, so I'll ask here I guess

I just ordered an sp48, and I'm not sure I made the right choice. I'm looking for something around 8 inches that is kinda between a knife and a machete. I saw the sp45 first, but decided the recurve would be a pain to sharpen. Then I though maybe the sp43, but I wasn't crazy about the looks. So now I've settled on the 48 because it looks like a better chopper.

It seems to have more weight to it, which is good, and have a thicker spine, which I always felt was a
little thin on the other models I mentioned.

What kind of edge retention will I be able to expect out of the 5160? (It's only 53-55RC, and the steel isn't exactly known for having the ultimate edge retention anyway.)

And how does it work? Anyone with extensive experience? Can it handle both chopping and some harder batoning? I ask because the tang looks kinda narrow for such a huge knife. But I could be way off in my assumptions of strength

Basically, I'm trying to convince myself I made the right choice:D, so please feel free to share your experiences with the knife. Pics would be great too:thumbup: thanks

Back