SP5 original vs. new

Discussion in 'Ontario Knife Company' started by dpsk, Jan 14, 2020.

1. dpsk

dpsk

Nov 7, 2019
    Thoughts on the original "Spec Plus SP5" vs. the newer "SP-5 Survival Bowie"? My understanding is the original used 1095 steel and the newer model uses 1075 steel. I know the older one's came with a custom size DeSantis sheath, while the new model uses the same (made in China) SP-53 sheath - that's just a bit over sized for the SP-5.
    PS: I ordered an SP-2 from Amazon that's due for delivery this Friday.

2. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I have both. Haven’t noticed a big difference between them in use. The newer ones don’t have a sharpened swedge.

I prefer the new sheath to the dangler style ones that came with my old versions. If I was going to buy another sp5, I’d probably get the new one.

dpsk and buckfynn like this.
  3. Steve6387

Steve6387

Jul 1, 2013
    I only have the 1095 version so can't directly compare. Based on everything I've read and reviews however, I would not hesitate to buy a new one. Even if I decided to invest in another sheath, is still a redeiculous deal.

dpsk likes this.
  4. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    You won’t be disappointed. I have three of the newer ones and they work great.

I actually like the sheath; even more than the KaBar Becker large sheath.

It has two securing straps.

Great value knife!

jux t and dpsk like this.
  5. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I also like this model’s versatility.

It handles camp cooking and is still robust enough to chop. It even acts as a small machete.

dpsk, buckfynn and jux t like this.
  6. Roguer

Roguer

Jan 5, 2015
    OKC did a study and found their version of 1075 is a better steel for most purposes for their knives.

I got the SP-5 FINALLY because of the non sharpened swedge because I live in an "EVIL DAGGER!" state. Its a nice versatile multi-tool like a BK-9 or my RD-9.

Sheath...I can live with it, it works and the 1075 steel and cheaper sheath makes it a bit more affordable.

dpsk likes this.
  7. beachmaster

beachmaster

Oct 3, 2014
    I have had 3+ different "old" sp5's- 2 with the desantis sheath (one which i still own) and one with a newer nylon sheath-

These were all 1095, and the oldest ones had poor fit and finish, and sharpened swedges. It was actually the first knife i reviewed and that swedge was one of my few complaints.

Anyways, the newest ones have 1 gen newer sheath, this time a chinese made nylon sheath, and its not bad, no sharpened swedge, and 1075. Honestly all EXCELLENT choices. If my old sp5 fails ill be excited to get a newer one.

With that said, the old desantis half leather half nylon sheath is cool, but i wouldnt say its "better"- all in all i would say the most recent sp5 is the best yet.

dpsk likes this.