Space Age Ideas....

I am in the midst of something rather strange that i was looking for some opinions on.

I am designing some new knives that are "ultra high tech" looking, like something out of a science fiction flick or something..

I design something unique and different every once in a while so i dont get bored with "plain old knives"..

What I wanted to know is if anyone has any suggestions wheter it be materials, design ect., keep in mind that these may not be ideally functional peices when they are done.

I want something on my table at shows in an ultra modern style..

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Alan Folts..

Well Alan I`m no expert and hi tech isn`t really my thing but I`ll give it a stab (pun intended
smile.gif
). Seems like splash anodized titanium and aluminum would be pretty hi tech. Carbon fiber is always cool for that sort of thing too. Perhaps some different looking screws like Brownells Triwing grip screws or something along those lines. For a truly futuristic and non functional look how about a design done in the grip using fiber optic strands and illuminated by a hidden tritium vial concealed within. You could probably get a sort of neon lights effect going. LOL! Wow I`m really out there now huh? Time to go to bed! Marcus

Welll...you could do two tips, one for thrusting, one for chopping...oh...wait...it's been done
biggrin.gif

Jim "the big ugly dude" March

How about a stealth series knives? Inspired by black project such as the F-117A(?) stealth fighter, B-2 steal Bomber, and the Comanche? Tritium inserts for added effects if possible.

Well, I was actually considering the iner lighting effect, does anyone know where i can get some fiber optic cables?

I wat hinking of making a very angular peice, possibly with spring loaded wings and light up windows, that perhaps looked like a little spaceship or something.

I am not looking for something non usable, but possibly something that would not be classified as a worker, more like an art knife..
smile.gif

Thanks for the ideas, Keep um comming!!

Alan Folts..

If you can figure out how to mount the fiber optic strand in the spine "in a window" of sorts, you will get a very neat effect. Something along the Klingon knife seen on StarTrek might make a good starting place.

Sid

Materials more than anything

Ceramics, titanium and carbon fiber

You know ceramic blade with Titanium bolsters that reached forward across the spine of the blade (for support) Use colors … carbon fiber handles … add your fiber optics and man your ready to go through the STARGATE… How about build in a laser pointer ? no real function but you could say that it is a concept piece that is waiting for the technology to develop when our knives will cut laser enhanced. I have a L/pointer around here somewhere your welcome to it as I never use it. Use CNC machining to create a high-tech surfacing… Well that's what I'd do if I had nothing else to do. Alan, When is your next show?

Well, my next show is in greenville this weekend, a gun and knife show, but i should sell somethin, maybe i can afford grocieries after all..
smile.gif

The idea of using the fiber optics is really getting to me..

Any body have any idea where i can find some fiber???

the laser pointer idea has been done, a guy that makes ultra modern stuff has been putting one 2 and three point laser sights on his stuff for a couple of years, sorta like predator type stuff...

Keep the ideas coming!!

Alan Folts..

Alan,I believe you can find it in different colors and sizes at larger hobby shops. It`s used to transfer light for scale models,train layouts etc. If they don`t have it in stock they should at least be able to get it. Hope this helps. Marcus

Hmm, maybe you should read some nice literature first to get into the mood? Newromancer, Snowcrash, Strange days are all come to mind. I´m sure there are more nice works out there (one might notice that I´m more a fan of cyberpunk than of space opera).
My personal favorite would be a pocket chainsaw. If you can figure a way to get a high powered e-motor and a battery pack in a handy package I will order one
smile.gif

If this doesn´t work, lot´s of serrations and of course high tech material as already mentioned. On the other hand, personally I wouldn´t advocate the innerlighting idea but this is personal taste. And even if it´s an artknife, it should still be a workable design.
Just my 2c
Michael

Edmund Scientific has fiber optics of all kinds. Order their catalog... tons of kewl stuff like super magnets, giant magnifying glasses that'll melt cans, lens, and scientific toys. My son can spend hours studying the catalog.
www.edmundscientific.com

Back