Spacers

TAH

Gold Member
I own a mid 70s, 105 Pathfinder. It has two redish brown spacers at the guard and two at the buttcap.

What are those spacers made of? When did Buck start using only one spacer at each end?

I like the looks of two better. :(

Thanks,
Tom

I dont know the specifics of your knife, but I do believe they have used different materials for the spacers. I think one time they even used gasket material.
Also, you could add a little more to your topic line to draw attention to it. Have you considered the Buck Collectors Club? Take care,guy

Well as luck would have it,my BCCI nrewsletter just got here! Mid 70's show micarta spacers. It would appear that in the 80's they went to 1 micarta spacer, 2 aluminum at the guard and one micarta and one aluminum at the pommel.

guy,

Good point. You are probably right about my vague topic line.

Glad your newsletter arrived. Thank you for letting me know the answers.

Best,
Tom

I am sure i wont be here to see your reply but how is the knife stamped? The spacer material was a reddish colored bone hard fiber up until about 1970, then we switched to red micarta. I have never heard anyone mention that they liked the knife better with more spacers. Having said that, I agree with you totally. I like the look better with two spacers although that second one can be hard to see up against the black handle.
Take care,

Hello Joe,

The blade is stamped:

BUCK
U.S.A.

The knife was given to me by my father in '74 or '75 when I was 13 or 14 years old. It was my first "real" sheath knife. I still use it all the time and it's in great shape.

IMO, as far as the spacers go, two at each end look better. I agree that the ones that back up to the black handle are harder to see, but I know they are there.

It's all in the details!

Best,
Tom

Tom,
If that stamp is read with the tip pointed up, then knife is from Groupd 2, timeframe from 1973 through 1980. Red micarta is the spacer material as we had switched from the bone hard fiber in 1970.
In 1981 Buck removed one micarta spacer from the guard. Sometime around the same time the "extra" micarta spacer in the pommel was also dropped.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Joe. The stamp is indeed read with the point up.

Why is it so much fun to date a knife and discover when changes occured?

Thanks again,
Tom

Tom,
For me it is fun because i hate telling people, "I don't know". I am supposed to be the big shot Expert after all! :rolleyes:
I love having the correct information for someone.

Back