Spear Point & Wharncliffe.... Your thoughts.

That would be this #92 he refers to. And to be honest if I had to chose ONE traditional pocket knife for the rest of my life it would be difficult to beat this one. It's 3 5/8" closed and a full sized, sturdy knife. IMHO this is a great blade combination. The coping for precision work and the spear for general purpose. I LOVE this knife. This is one of my four (of the 8 GECs I own) absolute favorites.

I like the Eureka pattern a lot, have two both Tidioute as I almost always prefer Barehead knives. The pattern is very comfortable in the hand and I find the blade combination useful, on one of them I've altered the Coping into a small Wharncliffe.

I like 'The Big Three' blades: Clip, Spear, Wharncliffe/Sheepfoot about equally. A lot depends on frame shape I don't much care for some GEC 73's with wide Spear as this can make them clumsy and fat looking when closed. As a European, I tend to favour single-blade knives and Leaf Drop-Point style of blade earn my liking. But as I said, I do like all 'The Big Three' on the right frame. Speys I find redundant, I was frankly rather surprised by the enthusiasm shown for the Spey TC Barlow. Fortunately, we are not all the same:D

Thanks, Will

For your consideration gentlemen, the lowly leaf shape, preferred by discriminating users since the Stone Age.
But like Knarfeng plastic clamshells not real ones or God Forbid, Walrus pelts are my daily challenge.

[IMG]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af200/leogreg/38d382e2cdea3a40c1b036b0df65dbe1_zps077c90ab.jpg[/IMG]
So, this is the one I carry most.
81d45c47e65b5fccb26a6b7930f2ed9f_zpsf07c37a6.jpg
[/IMG]
The Wharncliffe is peerless for piercing!

Last edited:
Thanks Will, they're dandy little knives, rock solid and ridiculously cheap. Like the Opie, everyone ought to have one.

OP, I'm with you on the wide range of spearpoints, and generally, the wider they are, the less useful they are to me for an EDC blade. The only single blade spear I've ever carried for EDC is this Queen linerlock, and you can see it is pretty narrow and still has a very good point.

IMG_0610.jpg~original

The typical spearpoint is wider with a more aprupt belly and point, making it harder to get into places and more of a specialty blade.

Another useful spearblade is the one on my newly acquired Vic Electrician, for the same reasons as cited above. To make it even more useful, it also has the short sheepfoot blade for draw and precision cuts, plus all the other tools. As you can see in this comparison shot, the point is slender and the blade actually narrower than the clip on the Boy's Knife, making its carry less bulky.

15v91SAK_zps076baeeb.jpg~original

As far as the Wharncliffe, I don't really like a straight-edged blade for my primary. The modified Wharncliffe (zulu spear) would make for a good single blade carry knife, with its long slender point and slight belly, but I've never tried one yet. It's on the list.

I like those Spear Points, and could see myself buying a knife I liked with that style of blade.
The one in particular I am really having a hard time getting past is the Spear Point on the GEC 72 lockbacks. In my eye, they are a little extreme, and look really out of proportion. I don't really care for the way they look when closed either. If the blades on the 72's were shaped similar to your Queen, I would be buying another new one.

Feel free to keep adding pictures of other knives with Spear Point blades everyone , so we can see more differences in design. Besides, pictures are good...

IMG_0422.JPG

It's my favorite pattern too :thumbup:
spear point looked little strange(for me ),but once i started using it i started to loving it,having Wharncliffe and spear i'mwaiting for one with clip point to complete trio ;)

Sheepsfoot is a very popular blade in English penknives
The British Army Clasp knife has a sheepsfoot

And as an electician in NYC we carried a skinning (cables) knife that was a sheepsfoot

The Wharncliffe is an incredibly beautiful blade shape.

The spearpoint isn't near as pretty but is probably more versatile.

Both blade styles have been around as long as the Clip and Sheepsfoot and are as traditional as you get. I was cold about the Wharncliffe but when I got one and used it, Im a convert. Way better than the clip for everyday home/office chores of cutting open packages, bags, twine, mail etc.

Back