Spearpoint style blade: why?

TheCarbideRat

BANNED
Hey group, what are the pros and cons of a spearpoint on a folding knife?
I ask because I am planning to grind this blade into a drop or clip point and want to know what I may be missing out on in terms of performance. The only advantage to a spear[point I think I can readily surmise is greater tip strength, but am not sure. What's up with spearpoints?

Attachments

• bf claw.jpg
    bf claw.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Spear points are just a way to gain tip strength over clip points without the drawbacks of say, a Tanto.

Depending on the knife, you get enough belly to make sweeping cuts like a clip or trailing point, while still having a sturdy point that is somewhat decent at both delicate and rough work.

Spear points are the original blade shape, preceding even metal blades. Both in stone and in early expensive metal blades, double edged knives were a way of carrying two knives in one. The best way to do this was with a symmetrical blade, both edges working the same -- a spear point.

The drop point is a slight specialization of this, the straight back (puukko) is a greater specialization, and the clip point is a modification of the straight back. All of these are evolutionary changes from the original, which is still a decent design for a hunting or camp knife.

The spear point gives you a good point without being too delicate, a belly for skinning but a long straight edge for slicing or chopping, and a dropped back to see into what you're working on without having to angle the knife too much.

Spear points and dagger-points are for thrust-cutting. So if you wanna stab people. Go with a dagger-point. Basically a good SD knife.

i also like the looks of a SP, or a stilletto, i love my ralph maxx 5'5" stilletto, it looks cool.

I think everyone has pretty much covered this pretty well. Personally, I prefer drop point over spear point, since it's got a greater sweep for slicing, but they're both good. Either way, the tip is reinforced and isn't quite as delicate.

"Ryou"
the wider the blade, the wider the room for the creation of a blade with more belly.
and so it goes that a spearpoint with a centralized spine along with a false edge would not normally have a more accute cutting edge than that of a spearpoint/drop point with a full v-ground.
btw, the folder pictured is presumed to be a chinese made folding bayonet?
which if it is, makes it a commercial fantasy item.
but there in lies a probable design reasoning for a folding spearpoint bayonet.

"Ryou"
the wider the blade, the wider the room for the creation of a blade with more belly.
and so it goes that a spearpoint with a centralized spine along with a false edge would not normally have a more accute cutting edge than that of a spearpoint/drop point with a full v-ground.
btw, the folder pictured is presumed to be a chinese made folding bayonet?
which if it is, makes it a commercial fantasy item.
but there in lies a probable design reasoning for a folding spearpoint bayonet.

Thank you for your post, you know what you are talking about and it is appreciated. Yes it looks like it really would clip onto a firearm, yet this is preposterous?? So it's a fantasy knife, akin to some of the bladed weapons in asian combat movies, interestingly it weighs 248g, I wonder WTF is it made out of makes it so heavy, Lone Wolf T3 is 298g.

Attachments

• bayoweight.jpg
    bayoweight.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
To put it in a nut shell; you get the cuttling utility of a drop point with the next strongest tip to an American style tanto.
013-1.jpg

Spear point is my favorite blade shape, though I do use tantos a lot. I particularly like the CRKT M21-04s. Blade belly is great for cutting, but in stabbing there's more of the blade to stay in the material being stabbed that has to be extracted. I see beauty and function in all blade shapes and think the stiletto blades are underestimated in many cases. Tantos are a pain to sharpen, especially when half serrated. Bowies are fine, too, but the tips are not as strong as some of the other shapes.

I like the looks of a spear point and I hope you like yours when it's finished.

Hi, thank you for your post, I mean to grind the blade in question to a clip point.....sorry for the imprecise wording, poorly done photo, thats what tripped you up, here is a more close up image of the blade ...

I like spear points for their looks also, and have usually forgone tanto blades cause I think they are ugly, well well, i am actually looking for a tanto folder these days.

Attachments

• point.jpg
    point.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Spear points are just a way to gain tip strength over clip points without the drawbacks of say, a Tanto.

Depending on the knife, you get enough belly to make sweeping cuts like a clip or trailing point, while still having a sturdy point that is somewhat decent at both delicate and rough work.

what are the drawbacks of a tanto?

Back