Spec Bump size?

I may be ordering one of these tomorrow....I've been waiting for one for awhile and since I had to cancel on my d`allara...

Problem is, there's no spec bumps anywhere near me--not even House of Blades.

I need to know how big it is....could someone take a photo of theirs next to one of these?

minigrip
paramilly
M16 K (the SMALL one--3 inch blade)

I'm afraid it might be too large for my needs with its ~3.5 inch blade...and the handles on the regular bumps look too big to me visually...

Anyone have any experience, or photos would be great, with spec bump size?

These images lead me to believe it's rather large, perhaps too large...I know the Manix is too large for what I'm in the mood for...

Kershav-Bump-G10-17.jpg

Kershav-Bump-G10-18.jpg

I dunno... while my Manix is a bit big for EDC, I have one of those Buck Strider Taranis, and it's just fine in the pocket; the Bump seems pretty comparable in overall bulk. Guess the key criteria would be the thinckness of that sculpted G-10 handle.

Artfully Martial said:
How do you think it would compare to a paramilli?
Ya know, it's hard to tell. So many knives have plain, flat slabs for scales, and it's amazing what a difference just rounding the edges can do. The 3D sculpting on the Bump is in a class by itself (the closest I can think of is the Benchmade Ares), making comparisons difficult.

I did a passaround review of the Paramilitary, and the handle was of comparable size to that Tarani pictured above, but with very square edges. Not that big, but felt like it was bigger. I don't have a Bump to compare, but I suspect it would feel significantly smaller.

So you think the Bump would feel noticeably smaller than my para? That's good news...I don't mind upgrading a little on the blade size, but overall knife size, the para is really pushing the limits on what I'll EDC. Good thing it's so great in every other way.

More pics:

http://playground.sun.com/~vasya/Kershaw-Bump-G10.html

Kershaw-SpecBump-001.jpg

I would say with that size comparable to Buck 880 and Manix it is way more comfortable for your pocket that all other knives. It is because of rounded 3D handle it has. Swamp Rat may compete with it in the pocket as well as Military, but Spec Bump more grippy - more comfortable in hand then they.

Thanks, Vassili.

If you all don't mind, I would like to make a few commentaries on the Spec Bump.

Personally, I have carried a Spec Bump with micarta scales, and a ZDP/ATS clad blade for the last 8 months. For a large knife, it does carry without effort, and the contoured scales do feel extraordinary when using. I don't feel it is too much knife for and edc, but I'm a big knife guy. I can see others rotating it regularly. The Stud Lock does take some adjusting to, as we are all a little "brain washed" in our usage of so many liner locks. I constantly go for the Stud now instead of the liner, so I guess I've re-trained myself.

The original Spec Bump (as shown in the pictures above), was the 1st generation. We made 1000 pieces of those, and they have all been sold to date.
The 2nd generation Spec Bump will soon be available. The differences between the 2 knives will be that the blade steel will change from CPM-154 to S30V, and there will be a new texturing pattern on the 3-D machined G-10. There will be 1000 pieces of these made as well. Our goal is to make short runs on the Spec Bump utilizing different steel, finishes, texturing, colored G-10's etc..

I really do love the design, and have come to appreciate the recurved blade as well. Of all of Ken's work that we have turned into production, there is no doubt the Spec Bump has translated extremely well.

Thanks for the time all.

Thomas Welk
Kershaw Knives

How soon will the S30V model be available? How much will it cost? Dang...that really complicates things.

The S30V Spec Bump should be shipping this week or next, depending on the production schedule. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I have been travelling at shows, and there was that very short vacation. I will see about posting an actual date tomorrow.

Hopefully this complicates things in a good way.

Thomas
Kershaw Knives

Yes, that's excellent news. Hopefully this will be without a blade coating, just my personal preference. I was worried that it would be in say six months. Short enough (and good enough) that I'd wait, but long enough that I'd really despise waiting.

Please make a thread as soon as you know more, and thanks a ton for the input. I'm really happy I found this out...I'm a pretty big fan of S30V.

Loving what Kershaw is doing.

Thomas - Thanks for the grat knife!

Thomas W said:
Personally, I have carried a Spec Bump with micarta scales, and a ZDP/ATS clad blade for the last 8 months.

Thomas Welk
Kershaw Knives

I like to carry this one also!

Do you have any plans to produce it soon or there is other way to get one?

Also if you are from Kershaw - when Offset will be available?

Thanks, Vassili.

I knew I was going to open up a can of worms mentioning the ZDP steel. :p
At this time we do not have plans to produce a ZDP Spec Bump, I just pushed our R&D Dept. till they made me one so they could finally shut me up. It is awesome..I mean its ok, no big deal, stop thinking about it now.

The Offset has been shipping since early Dec. We have shipped about 300 pieces to date, and will ship around 100 pieces a month. Keep a keen eye out, you will find one.

Thomas
Kershaw Knives

Thomas W said:
Our goal is to make short runs on the Spec Bump utilizing different steel, finishes, texturing, colored G-10's etc..

Thomas Welk
Kershaw Knives

Where can I get information in time about new short runs or preorder them?

May I suggest to make one run with ZDP-189, another with CPM S90V or with CPM S125V etc...

Thanks, Vassili.

Artfully, I checked with production today, and it looks as if the S30V Spec Bump will be more toward the end of Jan/EarlyFeb. before it hits the market. The S30V will have a Tungstun DLC coat.
I love what we are doing these days as well, I think 2006 and beyond we will have some really incredible patterns and new features for all to enjoy.

Vassili, there is no way to find out too much in advance about "next" runs of Bumps, but I will take your suggestions to the next new products meeting. Thanks for your input.

Thomas
Kershaw Knives

I'll try and make myself wait....it's hard...I want it now.

I imagine I'd enjoy a ZDP version etc, (I'm not a steel snob, but I tend to buy the "best" steel version available of any knife I buy) but I think I'd rather see more of a Spec Mini Mojo or something. I always liked the mini mojo, but never could pay with the money for 440A--not because I particularly dislike 440A, I just don't want to spend that much money for it (I understand that between the metal/g10 handles, assisted opening and great design, the cost is raised, but I just don't like getting less than 440C over a certain dollar amount as a preference). You know, something really tough and fun, but smaller.

Artfully, sorry, I forgot to mention, the price for the S30V Spec Bump will be the same as the CPM154 version.

Thomas
Kershaw Knives

Back