Spec Ops Sheath - Molding Failure

I recently purchased a Battle Grade ASH-1 from a fellow forumite, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've wanted an ASH-1 for many years, but only now have I even been able to handle one.

Having just received it this morning, I immediately went to forming the liner of a 6" Spec Ops Combat Master to fit it. I couldn't get a good enough mold with boiling water, so I followed one of the numerous tutorials here on the forum.

They recommended placing the liner in the oven at 375-400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-7 minutes.

Before doing this, I added three layers of duct tape to both the edge and spine side of my BG ASH-1, and lubed it up with some olive oil.

I placed the liner in the oven which was at 350 degrees, and set a timer for 3 minutes. I checked on it a few seconds before the timer was about to go off and was met with a rather shocking sight.

A shrunk, deformed liner. I tried to insert the blade and pull the liner back to its former length, but it was all for naught.

I now have a Spec Ops Combat Master without a liner, and an ASH-1 without a sheath.

Spec Ops claims their liners are made from actual Kydex, but of all the Kydex I've ever worked with, none of it ever acted like this stuff did.

As you can see, it shrunk quite a bit (close to 2").

Last edited:
Sorry gents, got confused and wrote Combat Grade. My ASH-1 is one of the newer Battle Grade blades. Must be the plastic fumes:rolleyes:

I have not had an issue with Kydex ever shrinking like that. Makes me think its definitely not Kydex. I read Kydex shrinkage is like .001 per inch but varies per batch. Two inches is crazy

Well, you do know you can purchase spare liners, right? Doesn't help the immediate problem, though. Or get the liner molded/fitted b

Well, you do know you can purchase spare liners, right? Doesn't help the immediate problem, though. Or get the liner molded/fitted b

Aye, I'm well aware that I can purchase spare liners. But with the current exchange rate and international shipping costs (which would be double the cost of a single liner), it would cost me less to purchase a whole new sheath within Canada.

I had the same thing happen. I wrote to spec-ops and they sent me a replacement for free. If they don't do that for you, maybe you can just get a sheet of Kydex and bend a new insert.

Before I ever tried working with Kydex I did a lot of research. There's a lot of information out there but straight from the company they mention that a slower heating cycle will yield less shrink and better definition. I place my Kydex on the tray in a cold oven and then turn it on rather than placing it into a preheated oven which could both heat it too fast and heat it too much .
It's also a good idea to get a laser thermometer, again the manufacturer will recommend the ideal working temperature based on the thickness of your Kydex.
Here is a great YouTube video, which I believe also has a link to the manufacturers information.
http://youtu.be/zCxwETokee4

I checked the link in that YouTube video it's not good anymore, here is another data sheet that shows you an ideal time and temperature for the heating

http://www.mulfordplastics.com/_literature_76587/Kydex_Thermoforming_Guide

Last edited:
That stinks, sorry man.
Maybe it's just me, but 350* seems way too much for the specops liner which as far as I can tell is closer to smooth inside & outside heat shrink tubing than kydex.
You might be able to find something similar to replace it with at an electrical supply store or get a kydex liner from one of the kydex guys.
For what it's worth, I do mine with my oven at around 200* and have not had the issue after my first one started to shrink at about 275* years ago.
Even molded kydex starts to demold into a loose pouch for me at about 200* when I have tried to repurpose a sheath.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!

I'll send an email to Spec Ops and see what they have to say, but I'm not expecting much. I'll likely just look into buying a kydex sheath from one of the makers here.

Does anyone know of a good kydex bender who might have a Battle Grade ASH-1 on hand to make a sheath? I really don't want to have to send my knife back to the US, just got dinged at the door, so I'd prefer not have it cross the boarder two more times (not to mention shipping costs!).

Does anyone know of a good kydex bender who might have a Battle Grade ASH-1 on hand to make a sheath? I really don't want to have to send my knife back to the US, just got dinged at the door, so I'd prefer not have it cross the boarder two more times (not to mention shipping costs!).

Dave Brown did mine and it's a beauty.

BB_sheaths.jpg

Yes and some of the sheath makers also do a thin properly formed kydex liner for the SpecOps sheaths.

I have not had an issue with Kydex ever shrinking like that. Makes me think its definitely not Kydex. I read Kydex shrinkage is like .001 per inch but varies per batch. Two inches is crazy

I've had kydex sheets heated over 330° F and they shrink from 8 by 12 to 6 by 10.... I don't go over 315°F

Yes and some of the sheath makers also do a thin properly formed kydex liner for the SpecOps sheaths.

THIS is what I was going to suggest. I'm a big proponent of the SpecOps Sheaths. They just work great for me. But I would love to have a good form-fitted kydex liner for a couple of them, that always are carrying the same blade. Since the OP is only using the one Busse, I'd be asking the custom makers to do a liner for the SpecOps sheath. You can even get adhesive Velcro that you can then Velcro it in just like the original, but much better.

I also strongly recommend you get a custom-made kydex liner for the sheath. It's well worth it.

Also useful for storage if you're not using the knife.

350 ???? wow that's hot .

E-mail me if I can make you something. :)

350 ???? wow that's hot .

E-mail me if I can make you something. :)

Yeah, that's what I'm gathering. Made a mistake by blindly following a single tutorial without doing any further research. That won't happen again.

I need to buy myself a new pack and sleeping pad tomorrow, but if I have some play money left, I'll be in contact. I will certainly be needing a sheath, be it a kydex liner for the Spec Ops, a full kydex sheath, or both.

Back