Speed Tech Knives - Info

speedtech-2.jpg

Hello friends-

I hope everything is well with you, your families and all of your endevors.
As I had promised, I am keeping you informed when we make significant
progress here at Speed Tech (tm) Knives.

We are currently manufacturing our 2nd run of prototypes which should be
completed within the next 3 weeks. If all goes well with our evaluation and
testing, we hope to begin the 1st production run in early to mid May. ASAP I
will post a photograph on the website and let you know it's there.

I am now able to give you some more definitive product information. We have
named the knife the Speed Tech (tm) "SYNERGY" (tm). Synergy is a term
meaning that the whole is greater than the sum of the components. I feel
that this name gives justice to the creativity, hard work and long hours put
in by all of the team members who have contributed to this product.

Here are the specifications (all quantities are approximate):

Blade Material: 154 CM, heat treated to Rc 60-61
Blade Length: 3.6"
Blade Thickness: .14"
Handle Material: Machined from a solid billet of 6061 T-6 aluminum
Handle thickness: .58" at widest point
Handle Plating: Type III Hard Coat Anodize
Lock Type: Button/plunge
Length Open: 8.4"
Length Closed: 4.8"
Weight: 4 oz.

The standard product line includes a stainless steel pocket clip (tip down
position) and an elliptical lanyard opening. You will have a choice of blade
styles (tanto or upswept point) and one of four standard colors (black,
maroon/red, dark green, pewter/blue/grey). We are still in the process of
determining blade finish for the standard product. We are choosing from a
stonewashed tumbled, bead blast, or a subdued mirror finish. Factory direct
pricing for the standard SYNERGY (tm) product has been initially set at
$249.95.

We are also defining the 1st models of our limited edition series of knives.
Periodically, we will release knives with features and serial #'s only
available in limited numbers on these products. Examples would be blade
finishes and coatings, exotic handle plating patterns and handle machined
surface textures. Pricing will be dependent on the additional features.

Finally, the custom "build your dream" knife menu is also in the works. You
will be able to custom configure your SYNERGY (tm) exactly as you want it
for a reasonable price and have it delivered in the shortest timeframe
possible. The website will allow you to see and cost out your creation in a
realtime manner!!

We hope to be shipping product just in time for the BLADE Show in early
June. I will keep you informed as things develop and as our website gets
updated. Also keep a lookout for Speed Tech (tm) in the major knife
magazines and on the internet Blade & Knife forums.

Inquiries for our products can also be directed to:

Speed Tech (tm)
4050 Technology Place
Fremont, CA 94538
(510) 445-3800

As always, your comments and suggestions are welcomed and highly encouraged.
Speed Tech (tm) thanks you for your input, friendship and support as we
build our company.

Jim O'Young
Speed Tech (tm) Knives
http://www.speed-techknives.com

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

ello fellow knife nuts!

My name is Jim O'Young. Along with my partners Doug Hill and Doug Brobst, we have formed a company called Speed Tech (tm). We are a brand new knife manufacturer and I'd like to take a few minutes of your time to introduce ourselves and give you some background on what we're trying to accomplish.

Our mission was to pull out all the stops and create a high quality, high precision knife; engineered aesthetically, ergonomically and functionally using the latest technology in design and manufacturing. Our company is made up of engineering and technology professionals who have been involved in the development and manufacturing of products here in the Silicon Valley for the past 20 years (and who also happen to be gun and knife enthusiasts). My partners are sporting clay shooters and I compete at the Steel Challenge, sponsored by Briley Pistol Division and Hogue Grips. We have all been knife collectors for many years and even many more dollars!!

I personally designed the knife using 3D solid modeling CAD and Doug and Doug manufactured the product directly from those CAD files in their state of the art facility. We actually began this project as a means of obtaining the knife of OUR dreams, the one that nobody else had ever thought of or created; something new and innovative.

We feel our product is quite unique for many reasons, but the primary one is how it feels (and looks!). After you pick it up, open the blade, and grip it in the forward and reverse positions, you'll understand why we're excited. The handle is a FULLY 3 DIMENSIONAL SCULPTURED SHAPE, MACHINED OUT OF A SOLID BLOCK of aluminum. This ONE PIECE design houses a specially designed pivot and bearing system which creates a very smooth action. The one piece handle is also inherently stronger than multipiece designs. The blades are made using 154 CM stainless steel (hardened to Rc 60-61), with tanto and upswept point configurations.

Initially, the knives will only be available "factory direct" from us. We do this in order to give you the lowest possible price and the fastest delivery of the configuration that you want. The knife is EXTREMELY expensive to make (solid, fully machined one piece handle; precision pivot & bearing system; precision blades; exotic handle plating) and the standard distributor/dealer markups would make the cost to the consumer unaffordable to all but the most "fanatic" collector.

We, being knife nuts ourselves and a customer driven company, realize that everyone likes and wants something different, so we plan to offer the knives built to YOUR specifications from a menu of options (handle plating, blade shape & finish, clip/no clip, personalized laser engraving, etc.) and deliver them in the shortest time possible. It will be a "custom production" product. This marketing approach will also insure that the value of your knife is upheld over time.

Future plans are to offer serialized limited editions (titanium handles, Damascus blades, special handle plating designs, etc.). Again, we are a CUSTOMER and MARKET driven company, so YOU tell us what YOU would like us to make for YOU. What would YOU like to see for/in future products? If it isn't TOO outrageous and we can realistically do it, WE WILL!

An integrated family of products which I'm sure you'll like is also under development. Among Speed Tech's goals is to supply a continuos flow of innovative products to the marketplace.

We will have a display at both BLADE Shows as well as a HEAVY presence on the internet and in the trade magazines. We will probably also display and sell at the major knife shows.

Thanks for taking the time to hear our story. PLEASE let us know any relevant thoughts that you might have. We really value YOUR opinion. I will keep the forum aware of any significant events as they occur.

Stay sharp!

Jim

------------------
Jim O'Young
www.speed-techknives.com
Home of the Speed Tech "SYNERGY" (tm)

Oh good custom configuration...I'll take a left handed model. Hey Mike what are the chances?
Nick

OhMy!!!

That is a GOOD looking knife. And to think, a tactical not in the compulsive black.
smile.gif

If I haven't already ordered a blue Carnivour from Crawford, THAT would be on the top of my short list.

sing

The Blue is just a CAD design. The actuall knives will have many different colors.

speedtech.jpg

How do you like these?

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

Awesome!!

Any plan for manual action (hopefully not liner lock)? These beauties look like autos, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Reynaert

These are manual action knives.

Pay close attention to the blade to handle ratio. It looks as though the blade will not even fit in the handel. Now that is pretty cool in my book!

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

Reynaert-

These knives ARE manuals w/ a button/plunge lock. (The one piece handle design does not easily lend itself to a well executed liner lock.)

At this time we are NOT planning to manufacture an auto version. We are spending all of our available resources bringing the manuals to market and it is also unclear if California law will allow us to manufacture autos. However draconian, we intend to observe the letter of the law.

The manual SYNERGY (tm), like any other well designed modern folder, opens just as fast as an auto and closes using only one hand.

Stay sharp!

Jim

------------------
Jim O'Young
www.speed-techknives.com

I was wondering when Speed-Tech would show up here at Bladeforums.
smile.gif

First time I saw these cool-looking knives, was at the pics Spark posted for us early this year at a knife show (sorry, forgot the name).
The looks are definitely impressive! Great job, guys!

Dan

Beautiful knife - my only request is that the clip is placed for "tip up" carry (ie like zytel Spyderco Enduras).

Of course this will open a can of worms and the great debate of tip up vs tip down will ensue...

------------------
Daniel
A knifeknut in New Zealand

And how about a fully flat ground blade rather than the saber grind as per the prototype?

A couple of things from what I see.

The Very Good:
- No linerlock
- Ergonomic integral handle
- Few parts
- No automatic
- Usefull blade shape
- Right size
- The custom idea!

The Not So Good:
- Same old steel
- No lanyard hole
- The upswept point (can't get used to that look. A straight spine would look much better).
- The false edge.

The bad:
- I don't own one yet

The Questions:
- Is there a spring in the release button? What if it breaks? Can I replace it myself?
- How far does the customization go? I.e. could I get a differnt steel?

Thanks Jim and Mike for the clarification.

Jim, not autos (yes!), and not liner locks (yes! yes!!)? Thank you, thank you!

Are there thumb notches somewhere?

How about in BG42, 420V, 440V? Ah...

Reynaert

Jim,

A most impressive looking knife. BUT, how does it stand up to real world use would be the big question.

I would like to know what kind of testing ,ie: edge holding, cutting ability, lock holding ability,etc have you done or are planning to do ?

The ergonomics look very nice, and the ability to have one in the color & configuration of your choice is most commendable.

If they perform as well as they look, I think you just might have youselves a winner here.

Also,as Ralf asked in his post, how is the button release controlled and if it is a spring, will it stand up to thousands of closings?

I just talked with Jim O' Young and he sent me another pic. This time showing the back of the knife with the low profile clip.

Also when you visit the Blade Show you won't have to go far to visit Speed Tech as they will be right next to us. We are booth 85 and they are 84.

speedtech-3.jpg

Jim also stated he would send us some knives as a giveaway! Yahoooooo.....

Also I will test them to see how they hold up in the real world. My first impression is they should hold up quite well. Remember they are made from a solid peice of aluminum. Not 2 peices held together with screws. Also the blade rides on a ball bearing system which is similar to the Cheyenne and TiKnives. Which in turn means there will not be any or much play and they should last damn near forever!

I will post more after I see them in person.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

Opps. Here is what the updated pic shows.

1) more comfortable handle shape
2) elliptical lanyard opening
3) integrated pocket clip
4) optional tanto blade

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

Thanks to everyone for their comments and feedback so far. Keep 'em coming!

MIKE- Thanks for all of your help in getting the word & pics out to the forum.

SING, DANNYC- Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

NICK- It would be difficult, but NOT impossible to come up with a left handed version. Let's see what the demand is like.

DANIEL L- Believe me, I went back & forth many times on clip/tip direction. Tip down won out because it allowded us to mount the clip higher, positioning the knife lower in your pocket. How do you like the tanto blade?

RALF-
*We went w/ 154 CM "out of the chute" because of a proven track record. We are looking at offering other steels as options on custom orders.
*Please see the latest CAD image for the "elliptical lanyard opening" (aka hole) and the non-upswept tanto point. Sorry about the false edge.
*We/You/MasterCard/UPS can correct the bad part in early June.
*There is a compression spring under the lock button. We feel, based on our design and testing that it should not fail. If it ever does, we WILL replace it.
* All fasteners are loctited so nothing will come loose. Cleaning can be easily accomplished with aerosol brake cleaner. There really shouldn't be any reason to take the knife apart and service it.
*A custom options menu is in the work. What would YOU like to have for dessert?

FRANTIUM- Please see the latest CAD image for the "grippy grooves" top & bottom, front & rear. Additionally, there will be a machined in surface texture on the handle that will aid in gripping (it also looks VERY sharp!).

JAILHACK-
*As an engineering driven company, we plan to go through a battery of testing, both on the bench and in "real world" actual use. We are taking the approach that it, like all other quality folders, is a precision cutting tool, NOT a hammer or a prybar.
*The button lock is designed to never place the return spring in a fully compressed state. As I mentioned to Ralf, if there is ever a problem, we will stand behind our product.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Stay sharp!

Jim

------------------
Jim O'Young
www.speed-techknives.com

Those knives look AWESOME! The handles look to be about perfectly shaped and very comfortable. I can't wait to fondle one at the Bladeshow. I would vote for stonewashed finish on the blade for corrosion resistance.

------------------
Long live Bladeforums!

Al

Back