Spikes: production or home-made?

Is there anyone out there who throws spikes and wants to comment on the type of spike used? There are various throwing spikes available. Some seem to have 'handles' while others are simple and straight. Here are some examples: http://www.allblackbelt.com/wspikes.html

I've also heard many people comment production spikes are low quality and you are better off making your own out of keystock or something. Does anyone make their own and have some tips to offer? (metals, shapes)

thanks,

-arcane

Sears: Landscape spikes. ( for RR ties ) Cheap, cut the heads off, grind the points a bit.

Home made all the way!
I have made several spikes, some for friends. I second the spike idea(giant size nails). I was able to get some for $0.78 each at home depot. A lathe is nice, (I use a wood lathe w/ files) it allows such niceties as handle grooves and concentricity, but is by no means necessary. Just take a bench grinder to them and give the point gentle taper. No grinder? Files will work, but take a while.
If you are throwing at wood, you need a rather acute angle to get reliable sticking. The spikes won't really harden, but that's ok, just don't throw at rocks, and if you do hit one, just file or hammer the point back into shape. Some practice and you can start turning out some top quality triform blades.
Then sell them to your friends!
Hope this helps.

Edit: just looked at that site... many of the spikes advertized tend to be really light, or really handle heavy (like the stainless triangle bladed one with the big handle- TAK-72)... IMHO light spikes are only really good for playing darts with. For real throwing I prefer something heavier with a gradually tapered point.

Home made are the best. I made 3 types. My favorite are from 8" by .4" nails I got for $.25 each. Just cut off the head, and use a grinder to sharpen the point and round the end. I did the same on 6" nails, which are cheaper and do less damage to the target. A third type, which is more expensive but I just wanted to see how they would turn out, is made from .4" rebar cut to various lengths, with one end sharp and one round. All of these work much better than any commercial spike I have tested.

I use foam archery targets to save wear and tear on my spikes and senban shurikens. Does anybody know a less expensive source for the foam?

Back